Why We Need To Talk About The Unending Hunger Issue In America | The Odyssey Online

Why We Need To Talk About The Unending Hunger Issue In America

Hunger insecurity in the US is an issue that must be addressed.

40
Fridge Fresh

Many people, including myself, forget that hunger, homelessness, malnourishment and starvation are all prevalent in cities nationwide. Around thanksgiving, many of us see family and catch up over a homecooked meal. I couldn’t imagine it any differently. I am hesitant to remind myself of the fact that many people unfortunately go without food not only for thanksgiving, but also for prolonged periods of time. Busy schedules and lives often consume the days of a typical American, but it is important to stop and reflect on the issues of our nation.

Recently in a class of mine we watched a film on food insecurity in America, and the information was astounding. To give a brief overview, 42.2 million Americans lived in food insecure households in 2015, including 29.1 million adults and 13.1 million children, according to Feeding America.

To gauge how rampant the issue is, here are the poverty rates of the United States ten largest cities from the United States Census Data.

• San Jose 12.2%
  • San Diego 14.4%
  • New York 15.3 %
  • Los Angeles 17.8 %
  • San Antonio 19.9%
  • Chicago 22.6%
  • Phoenix 22.8%
  • Houston 22.9%
  • Dallas 23.8%
  • Philadelphia 26.5%

I was amazed at these numbers. It was not because I didn’t think that there was food insecurity in those places, but because I had assumed it wasn’t as prevalent. I stand quite corrected. It is important to address this, especially around the time of thanksgiving, because everyone should have knowledge on the issue.

After gaining this knowledge, I feel as though I have been oblivious to the issue.This made me realize that I often am forgetful of the blessings in my life. It is important to be thankful for what we have, and to be proactive for those who do not have what they need. America, the land in which life should be better, richer, fuller, is facing the issue of hunger, even in working households. Because of this, it is important for Americans to be aware of the issue, seek to raise awareness and spark discussion.

If you are interested in this topic, this short Youtube documentary will give you more information, or visit Feeding America’s website.