How To Survive Formal Season | The Odyssey Online

How To Survive Formal Season

Your complete guide to a killer week of formals.

19
How To Survive Formal Season
Spinning Along

It’s that time of year, folks— formal season! Formals can be a ton of fun, but they can also be a lot of stress, what with finding a date, finding an outfit, and of course, finding time to study for finals. Odds are, you will probably be attending more than one, since just about every group will be having one. So here are a few tips to make sure you survive this week healthy, happy, and ready to take on finals.

Borrow, borrow, borrow. Formals can drain your bank account pretty quickly, especially if you’re attending more than one. Plan ahead and swap whatever you can—dresses, shoes, accessories— with friends so you can still look good without spending a fortune. That’s what we call ballin' on a budget.

Re-wear last night’s hair. No shame in that, especially if you’re in a time crunch to get ready. In fact, hair often looks better once it has a day to settle in. Last night’s tight curls can be tomorrow night’s soft waves. Slap a little dry shampoo and a little frizz control in there and you’re good to go.

Don’t be afraid to take a friend. Finding a successive string of different dates can be tough— especially if your love life is anything like mine: a hot mess. Don’t feel pressure to find the hottest partner out there, or even a potential partner at all. Sometimes taking your best friend can be equally, if not more, fun. Turn date night into girls' night and tear up the dance floor with your BFF.

Work hard, play hard. Everyone knows finals are happening during formals season. Study up so you can have fun (and not fail your classes)!

It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Pace yourself! Going hard for three different formals three nights in a row will leave you drained, exhausted, and probably pretty hungover. Don’t be afraid to take it easy one night, and maybe sip on some water instead of wine.