How to Set and Keep Sustainable Health Goals in 2021 | The Odyssey Online

How to Set and Keep Sustainable Health Goals in 2021

35

The beginning of the year is always filled with hopeful thoughts, exciting anticipation ...and resolutions, lots of resolutions. Many of these resolutions revolve around improving one's mental and physical health. The only problem is, once February rolls around, most health-related resolutions have already been abandoned.

If you've committed to a health goal this New Year, have you considered how you plan on sticking to it? Sooner or later your initial excitement will wear off, and when that happens, you'll need something deeper to keep you focused.

Here are a few suggestions to help you set and keep health-focused resolutions throughout this upcoming year.

Set Clear Goals

If you want a resolution to stick, it needs to be clear. Goals to "exercise more" and "eat better food" aren't going to get you very far. Instead, strive to set smart goals for each resolution that you make. SMART goals are objectives that are:

●Specific.

●Measurable.

●Attainable.

●Relevant.

●Time-based.

Goals of this nature can help you stay focused on a specific, measurable endpoint. They can also help you avoid a perfectionist or overachieving attitude by aiming for something that is attainable. In addition, they are relevant and timely in nature. In other words, they apply to your current circumstances, needs, and capabilities.

For example, consider someone who lives in the San Francisco Bay area. Rather than simply trying to exercise more, they could commit to learning the art of paddle boardingby the end of summer.

This unique activity provides a tangible goal that can be achieved much easier than simply getting more exercise.

Set Reasonable Expectations

One of the quickest ways to fall off of the resolution bandwagon is by expecting too much of yourself. Most resolutions attempt to deal with deep-seated issues and habitual behaviors. These aren't things that can be dealt with overnight.

If you want to stick to your resolutions over time, you must be prepared to occasionally mess up. The problem isn't the messing up part but rather what you do about it. Many use a mistake as an excuse to cave in and revert to previous behaviors. When that happens, the original resolution isn't long for this world. Instead, try to adopt a "two steps forward, one step back" mentality. This way, you can stay the course even when you goof up.

Create a Game Plan

Along with SMART goals and reasonable expectations, it's also wise to establish a structured game plan. This will help you put your resolution in motion.

For instance, consider someone who is trying to make healthier food choices. They should create a specific diet that can help them achieve their culinary health goals. This can be an existing option, such as the Paleo or Keto diets. It can also be a personally crafted plan. It could even be as simple as making healthier food choices for a healthy weight.

To be clear, this isn't the same as setting SMART goals. Those are clear, deliberate objectives that you're working toward. Your game plan equips you with the tools to achieve those goals.

Track Your Progress

Once you have clear goals and a thought-out game plan, it's time to track your progress.

If you're trying to get in more cardio, get a fitness app like MyNetDiary to help you track your movement throughout each day. If you're focused on mental health, consider an option like the Calm app to help you relax or sleep.

Whatever tracking tool you use, find a way to keep tabs on your progress. This can help you in multiple ways.

On the one hand, your resolve is going to weaken at times. When that happens, tracking your progress can help you identify the change so that you can take steps to refocus. On the other hand, if you stick to your goals, tracking your results can be both encouraging and rewarding.

Don't Be Afraid to Make Adjustments

Now we're getting into the more nuanced part of keeping up a health goal. One of the trickiest things is avoiding a tendency to be too rigid about your goals. While SMART goals are specific, that doesn't mean they are set in stone.

On the contrary, a good goal can flex when necessary. After all, if you're trying to improve your health, chances are it won't be a short-term activity.

With that in mind, always be willing to make adjustments to your health goals when necessary. If you commit to going for a jog every day, you may find that it takes away from your family time. If that's the case, you can either reduce your jogging time or only run on certain days of the week.

Try to maintain a willingness to make minor adjustments as you go along. This will make it easier to keep up with your resolutions over the long haul.

Find an Accountability Partner

Most health goals are solo activities. This is understandable, as each individual's health needs are unique. However, tackling your health goals on your own can still feel overwhelming at times.

You already know that you have a weakness in this area. If that wasn't the case, it would not have required a goal to address the issue. Therefore, it's foolish to think you can magically overcome this shortcoming in yourself without a little help at times.

That's where an accountability partner comes into play. By finding someone who can have your back, you give yourself a lifeline in times of weakness. If you're having an off day, you can reach out to your accountability partner for help. They can remind you of the consequences that come from eating that junk food or thinking those negative thoughts.

Accountability partners can be committed to the same health goals as you. However, they can also simply be individuals who love and care for you. Even if they don't have the same health needs, if they're invested in you, they can still be an irreplaceable help.

From SMART goals to tempered expectations, adjustments to accountability partners, there are plenty of ways to stick to your resolutions. The important thing is that you take the time to set yourself up for success from the get-go. So review the list above. Then consider your own goals and see if you're in the best position to succeed in the upcoming year.