How To Pretend You Have Your Life Together

College is hard, but you can fool everyone into thinking you've got it down.

36
graphicdesign-student

The semester is in full swing and once the novelty of the new year has worn off, it can be really hard to stay motivated and on top of work. If you're like me, staying organized isn't as much fun as Netflix marathons or sleeping all day after a party. So, here are some of the things that I have found really help me get through my week.

1. Get A Calendar

Personally, I say get a calendar and not a planner because it's easier to view everything. Keep a monthly calendar by your desk or workspace so you can easily view your upcoming events, friends' birthdays and due dates all in one convenient monthly view. I like this better than a planner because I can have the month laid out in front of me and I don’t have the worry of missing anything. However, if a planner is more your thing, go for that or even have both!

2. Structure Your Days

Plan ahead what you’re going to do the night before. I usually use post it notes to make tons of lists so I can see what I need to do. If I need to do stuff that is all in one area of campus, I can plan out where I’m going to go either before or after class so I don’t end up wasting time trekking up and down Comm. Ave. I usually get really anxious if I don't know what I'm going to be doing and when, so this really helps me calm my anxiety and get stuff done.

3. Color Code

Before my semester starts, I get folders or binders and notebooks in corresponding colors to my classes. This makes it super easy for me to keep track of any handouts and class notes. The colors also make it very handy for me to just grab the correct notebooks for my day without worrying about double-checking because I know what’s inside. If you keep everything updated you won’t have to worry about leaving things at home.

4. Eat And Drink Properly

This is definitely something I'm sure you hear ALL the time, or at least my parents are always telling me to eat better. But it is important. I’m not saying you have to make your meals look like those beautiful Instagram photos, because if you are eating in a dining hall and/or are on a limited budget, this can be really difficult. Try and eat a breakfast that isn’t just sugar and caffeine, but has some form of nutritional value. Hit the fruit salad bar, grab some peanut butter on toast or if your school makes smoothies, get that for something quick if you're in a rush. Try and drink plenty of water and just keep the late-night pizza binges to a minimum.

5. Get Enough Sleep

I’m probably the worst person to be giving out this advice, but sleep is important. Studies have shown that teenagers and young-adults need about 7-9 hours of sleep to function normally because it’s important and vital for our mental and physical health. There's nothing worse than practically falling asleep in all of your lectures. Trust me, your professor notices. You can see more benefits and tips on how to get to and improve sleep here.

6. Get Involved

Try and do something for you that is on or off campus. Whether it’s joining a sorority, volunteering, or even the knitting club. Whatever you want to do, there is almost always somewhere on campus to get involved. Having a group of people with similar interests is a good way to take a break from the pressures of academic life. Plus, it’s a bonus resume filler for those summer jobs and internships.

7. Reserve Time For Self-Care

This one may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s actually more difficult to do than you think. It’s increasingly difficult to incorporate important things that make us happy in our busy lives. But even if it’s just spending a few extra minutes in the shower to relax or watching an episode of Grey’s Anatomy once in a while to destress and dissociate from everything around us, is a good way to keep it together.