How to Manage Your Mental Wellbeing During COVID-19 | The Odyssey Online

How to Manage Your Mental Wellbeing During COVID-19

20

COVID-19 has us all on edge. With growing numbers of infected and deceased, it can be easy to fall into anxiety or even depression at the state of the world today. I get it; a pandemic isn't exactly something you deal with in a typical yearly cycle. Most of us haven't been exposed to this sort of stress and fear.
That being said, COVID-19 doesn't have to break you or negatively impact your mental health. While there's no real way to completely avoid feeling stressed out, there are some ways to help manage your stress and anxiety and keep your head on your shoulders. Let's look at some ways to manage your mental wellbeing during COVID-19.

Chat Rooms
Sometimes, you just need to vent. But who do you vent to? Your family is likely caught up in their own stress about the virus and all of the uncertainty it's brought with it, and your friends probably haven't been in touch in a few months. What's left?
Luckily for you, the web is full of online chat rooms where you can vent completely anonymously. Scared about losing your job to COVID? Feeling overwhelmed with the kiddos at home all the time? Unsure if you'll be able to make ends meet? There's a chat room for that.
Chat rooms offer a unique opportunity to connect with people who are feeling exactly the same way you are. This virus has shown us something very important: that humans are there for each other during times of crisis. We've seen incredible acts of compassion and empathy across the globe as we help each other through the pandemic. chat rooms offer the chance to vent to people who feel exactly like you. And sometimes, all you need is understanding.

The News

How can you possibly keep a positive attitude during this crisis when you're seeing the news headlines? "200 more cases in New York" and "Death Toll Surpasses 100,000" are just some examples that can cause fear, anxiety, and more. And guess what? They're designed to shock and awe. Fear and anxiety have a price on their heads. They sell papers. Column inches. Subscriptions. Fear is a business in itself. It's absolutely critical that you stay updated during the pandemic. You need to know about any new government guidelines, virus activity, etc, but you'll need to switch up where you get your news from to avoid excess anxiety and fear. Choose a source that sticks to the facts and doesn't operate on fear (good luck, right?).

Here are some trusted news sites that are more unbiased and less focused on fear.

Maintain A Routine
Be honest with yourself; you've lost your routine, haven't you? Maybe you got laid off of work and have nothing to do now, or your kids are home all the time and any semblance of a schedule has gone out the window. Whatever the case may be, it's time to get back on track and create a daily schedule you can stick to.
Why does a schedule matter so much, you ask? Because our brains need something to focus on during times of stress. When things get stressful, daily routine acts as an anchor, providing comfort and normalcy. Even if you're just getting up at a certain time and following a light morning schedule, the results can be incredibly beneficial.
Speaking of getting up at a certain time, don't neglect your sleep schedule, either. Just because you don't have to get up for work anymore doesn't mean staying up until two or three in the morning is good for your mental health.
In fact, interrupting your sleep schedule in such a way can actually make your mental health decline. Your brain needs sleep just as much as the rest of your body, and with minimal sleep comes declining focus, energy, and drive. Get some sleep!

Don't Expect People To Check Up On You
You might be thinking "why not?" but hear me out. This pandemic is a global issue, affecting millions of people in dozens of different countries. As much stress as you're feeling right now, you can pretty much guarantee that your loved ones and friends are feeling the same. At the end of the day, we love our friends and family, but we can't expect them to keep tabs with us during this crisis.
Don't take it as a personal slight or insult. Your friends and family love you, but they've probably got as much or more stress, fear, anxiety, and uncertainty on their plate as you do. Give them time! They'll reach out when things settle down. They haven't forgotten about you.

The Bottom Line

COVID-19 has brought plenty of fear and uncertainty into our lives, but it doesn't have to destroy our mental health. Maintain a schedule, avoid fear-invoking news outlets, keep your hope, and remember that your loved ones haven't forgotten you. We're all a little scared, but if we stay calm, follow guidelines, and stick together, we'll get through this.