How Studying Abroad Will Change You | The Odyssey Online

How Studying Abroad Will Change You

And everything else

10
How Studying Abroad Will Change You
https://twitter.com/travel

Now, I know you've read a trillion articles telling you to "get out there! and "travel!" because "It will change you for the better!"

I also know that, to someone who has never given it a serious thought, an eye roll and walking away is all that you want to offer to the conversation.

So let me try to advocate the same argument, but hopefully in a less annoying way.

I took my first study abroad trip to Normandy, France the summer before my senior year of high school. Granted, it was a meek three week trip, but it was my first international adventure alone. Before France, I had been to Australia, but it was a trip with my father, meaning the independence was definitely not quite there yet.

I remember walking off of the airplane into Charles De Gaulle Airport and thinking, !&#? I don't understand a single thing anyone around me is saying. I was extremely apprehensive about taking my first independent international trip to a non-English speaking country. Reflecting back on it now, though, I am so glad I did, because what I learned:

1. New places have an incredible ability to introduce you to something new.

I went to a small town in high school, absent of diversity in almost every sense. Even now, at a college abundant with diversity, nothing compares to joining an entirely different culture for a brief period of time. We are all so accustomed to our own ways of life, unable to change perspective without going out and gaining it.

2. Maturity

Regardless of where you go, you're going to grow up quick. Even when I went to Australia and had my dad along with me, in the times I went out an explored on my own, I learned a lot. You also learn a lot about financial maturity. Namely, how NOT to spend all your money. Well, maybe I haven't quite picked up on that one yet.

3. Future interviews and applications

One of the greatest added on bonuses to studying abroad is the utterly amazing way studying abroad looks on an application or sounds in an interview.

4. Global Friendships

Between people that have studied abroad at my school and the people I have come across while abroad myself, I have countless connections in varying continents. Although it is painful to leave them behind, it is comforting to know you have friends spread across the world. The best part about it is you have an excuse to go travel and see them.

5. To be more sympathetic towards people in America that don't speak English

Now by saying this...I'm not trying to bring the topic of immigration to the table. I have learned, while in France the importance of being compassionate towards people that are unable to keep up with conversations. I remember feeling entirely helpless and lost in the midst of French words that I understood none of...and it sucked.

6. You'll miss really stupid things about home

I remember being in France, wanting nothing more than American milk. I don't know what lait is, but it certainly is not milk

7. You probably won't sleep much, but that's okay

You're having the time of your life.

8. You've all heard the trite claim that travel is addicting, but it is so true.

In fact, I have made it a goal of mine to go a new place every year. Sophomore year of high school was Australia, while Junior year was France. Senior year, I went to Mexico. Freshman year of college gave me the opportunity to go to Scotland, England, and hopefully Ireland and Wales. I haven't even taken that trip yet, and have already begun speaking with a travel advisor about going to Africa next summer.

I remember this past semester, flipping through pages of travel pamphlets, unsure of where I wanted to go. I am thankful that I chose to embark on yet another adventure, taking place in just a few days.

So just do it. Find your study abroad advisor and go for it. You won't regret it.