How Sororities at Oregon State are Making a Difference This Year | The Odyssey Online

How Sororities at Oregon State are Making a Difference This Year

Oregon State University's Greek life is thriving more than ever.

96

With 45 fraternity and sorority chapters comprising 3,100 students and counting, the Greek community makes up a large chunk of Oregon State. Unfortunately, many of the good deeds that chapters do every year go unnoticed. This is a brief update of what the women of the Panhellenic council have been up to this year and are planning for the future!

Alpha Chi Omega

It is currently Alpha Chi Omega's "Healthy Relationship Week" which means that they are going to be working hard to spread awareness about what a healthy relationship looks like. They will be tabling in the quad Tuesday and Wednesday. On Tuesday, people can come and pledge their allegiance to supporting healthy relationships by dipping their hand into purple paint (purple represents domestic violence awareness) and placing their hand on a poster and signing their name. Fraternities can also buy bags of Hershey's Kisses all week long and all of the money goes to CARDV (Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence). The fraternity that buys the most Kisses wins the title of "Alpha Chi's Best Kisser", a paddle, and points towards their Spring philanthropy, Diamond Days. Come out to the quad this week and pledge to be a supporter of healthy relationships!

Alpha Gamma Delta

This past holiday season, Alpha Gamma Delta adopted 12 children and provided them with Christmas gifts that they may have not received with the help of these women. They worked together as a chapter to spread holiday cheer to all of these children and had so much fun doing so! They are also planning many more philanthropic events for the future to look forward to.

Alpha Omicron Pi

Although this is a brand new chapter at Oregon State, Alpha Omicron Pi is making a huge impact on campus. Through their philanthropy they raised a ton of money for the Arthritis Foundation and this year they are making Valentine cards for Sisters for Soldiers. They have been tabling in the quad and allowing other people to write Valentine cards to soldiers in Afghanistan and a base in Texas, as well. They are also reaching out to other chapters on campus to form stronger ties. 

Alpha Phi

Every Winter Alpha Phi does a toy drive for Toys for Tots. This event is not only for the Greek community but everyone in Corvallis is welcome to come. All of the money donations go to Jackson Street Youth Shelter in Corvallis. Also, their annual philanthropy Red Dress Gala raises money for the Alpha Phi Foundation which donates to research for women's heart health, the #1 killer of women in America. Their event is April 4th at the Oregon Golf Club.

Chi Omega

The Make a Wish Foundation is what Chi Omega works so hard to raise money and awareness for every year. This year, the Color Me Chi O 5K Color Fun Run made over $14,000 which will fund almost three wishes for three children diagnosed with a life threatening illness. All throughout the year they plan events to raise money for this cause. Join in on their next philanthropy when you hear about it! It's a great organization and Chi Omega always strives to make their philanthropies a blast!

Delta Delta Delta

This chapter is focusing on increasing their community service and presence on campus this year. Their upcoming philanthropy, Delta Dunk, is a basketball tournament. All of the money from their three philanthropies throughout the year goes directly to St. Jude Children's Hospital in Tennessee. In fact, St. Jude has named a wing after them in their hospital called "Tri Delta". Delta Delta Delta has also recently made a pledge to St. Jude that they will raise $60 million in 10 years! Be sure to check out their upcoming philanthropies and help support a great cause.

Delta Gamma

This year, Delta Gamma raised the most that they have ever raised from their annual Anchor Splash philanthropy supporting Service for Sight... Over $30,000! They also added a new part to their philanthropy and are now making care packages for soldiers. Their presence and hard work on campus is hard to miss!

Kappa Alpha Theta

Kappa Alpha Theta has a very well known and fun philanthropy, Ironbrawl, which supports CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates). CASA provides children in the court system with advocates because usually they are too young to have a voice of their own. Children have been abused and neglected in the court system and without these advocates defending them, children most often return to unsafe homes. There are even a few members of Kappa Alpha Theta that work for CASA and have become advocates for the children. Don't forget to participate in Ironbrawl this Spring and help support CASA!

Kappa Delta

Mock Rock is one of the most anticipated philanthropies at Oregon State. It gives every chapter and member of the community the chance to perform a song/dance number for the entire community. Not only is it fun, it helps a great cause. CARDV (Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence) is a local organization that receives a lot of help and donations from Kappa Delta throughout the year. Kappa Delta keeps a very close relationship with CARDV so that they can see where their funds go. They go directly to a fund for  anyone who may have special circumstances. For instance, if someone needs a plane ticket or a down payment on an apartment. In fact, CARDV recently had someone call them because they had learned about their organization through Mock Rock. That's pretty incredible. Be sure to participate in Mock Rock this year and help support CARDV, as well!

Kappa Kappa Gamma

This chapter has been working closely with another chapter on our campus to support an organization called Star Sports that works with children with special needs. This chapter also raises money for CARDV and raises awareness and support for people in abusive relationships. Support their Spring philanthropy, Kick It With Kappas, and help raise awareness as well!

Sigma Kappa

This Valentine's Day Sigma Kappa will be holding a tea and cookie decorating for alumnae that are widowed or may not have anyone to spend the holiday with. How sweet! Also, they are planning a beach clean up sisterhood because it was so successful last year.

The Greek community at Oregon State is making a huge difference this year, locally and nationwide. I am so proud to be a member of such a diverse and service oriented community. There are many upcoming events that you can participate in and help support all of these great causes listed, as well!