How Sigma Alpha Iota Changed Me - The Odyssey Online

How Sigma Alpha Iota Changed Me

Vita brevis, ars longa

82
How Sigma Alpha Iota Changed Me

When I got to my university I begin thinking about joining a sorority. It wasn't really something I'd thought about much, but I live in the South, so naturally Greek life is a big deal on my campus. I decided not to go through formal recruitment my first semester because I was nervous about taking on too many activities all at once, after all I was a transfer student that was in the marching band, concert band, and choir, so I didn't think killing myself with too much all at once. After the semester started I heard of a fraternity for women on my campus. What, a fraternity for women?? Yes, Sigma Alpha Iota (SAI) is a music fraternity for women, so I decided to go to recruitment, and that was the best decision I have every made.

I finally received a bid my second semester at Southern Miss. Because we are a professional fraternity you have to have attended your university for a semester before becoming eligible for membership, so I had to wait a semester. When I received my bid I accepted it immediately and was so excited to become a member, and man did I jump right in!

My first full year as a member I was elected as an officer, and that was both the hardest and the most rewarding experience of my college career thus far. I was challenged because I didn't know how the fraternity worked, and I was forced to learn really fast. Thanks to the positions I have held on our executive board I can confidently say that I am a leader and can handle any challenge thrown at me.

I cannot even begin to express how thankful I am for the sisters that SAI has brought me. These women are the people that will be in my wedding, be my children's godparents, and I know they will be there for anything and everything life has to throw at me. We have a unique, tight bond that neither time nor distance can break. Sigma Alpha Iota brought me these women in a time that I needed them most.

Now that I am a senior and actually graduating in the spring I can't help but wish that I had more time with them, that I had time to have more of an impact on this beautiful organization. The thought of leaving them makes me tear up a bit, but I pray that life will enable me to be the active alumna that they deserve. I am going to cherish this last year so much and do everything I can to make this the best year our chapter has ever seen. I like to think that I will leave a lasting impression on Sigma Alpha Iota, but I have no doubt in my mind that Sigma Alpha Iota has made a lasting impression on me.

Love & roses forever!