How Having A Puppy In College Changes Your Life

Thank You, Furball.

19
Personal

It's no surprise that puppies essentially make the world go 'round. What's worse is that they are everywhere! If you aren't getting one, you can bet your tail that a friend is. If a friend isn't you're bound to see a thousand videos on Facebook of them (most likely my Facebook). However, if you are lucky enough to get a puppy while you're still in college you know the following to be true.

1. Something to "AWWWWWWW" at.

Of course puppies are a lot of work but when they are only a few weeks old it's pretty have to get mad at a ball of wrinkles. Their huge paws, puppy breath, and silky soft fun will melt your heart in a minute.

2. They hold you accountable.

Being in college is difficult. There are constantly assignments due, classes to go, and parties to attend. But most of the people in college let partying get in the way. If you have a 2-month-old puppy you have a new BABY to take care of, and you can bet that you're going to have to be home on the weekend nights to make sure there are no accidents.

3. They give you a reality check about bills.

PUPPIES. COST. MONEY. There is no other way to put that. Yes, they are great companions and yes, they are so cute you'll want to cry. But if you aren't expecting it, the cost will make you want to cry too. From food to toys to vet bills it become apparent quick that you are now paying to support a life. Vet visits and shot bills start at 6 to 8 weeks so money is flowing right off the bat.

4. You have a new schedule.

Puppies will not wait for you. They literally have to pee every 20 minutes and they are always hungry.. I mean don't you remember wanting to eat everything in site when you were a growing teen? You'll wind up spending a lot of time with them and that is something that you have to be ready for.

5. Exercise is key.

If you want to see a new level or crazy keep a puppy in a cage all day and then expect it to be calm. Puppies and dogs alike are full of energy. Which is awesome when you want them to play but if you want them to calm down you're going to have to wear them out.

6. You'll have to find a new sense of patience.

They are babies, they are going to be frustrating. But you have to keep in mind that they are young and they are learning and they are learning from you. Just remember that if they chew every left shoe you have that their teeth hurt and if you train them well it's only a phase.

7. You'll learn to be more honest.

You will probably bring them in public and get tons of remarks like "oh my gosh it's so cute, I bet you love it!" To which you'll probably nob and say thank you but if you're in that frustrated stage you might answer with something like "Yeah well she's a little shit and sometimes her being cute is the only thing that saves her."

8. Endless love and loyalty

There is something extremely specially about the love and loyalty that a dog will have for you. That is extended to an even greater degree if you are lucky enough to raise a dog from the moment it is taken away from it's mother. Dogs know nothing but how to love their humans and that is something that shouldn't be taken for granted.

9. Snuggle bugs

They start at about 5 pounds and before you know it they're 4 months old and pushing 30 pounds.. But if they are the snuggly type they are still going to be convinced that they can fit in any lap to take a snooze.

10. Medical aids

For me personally, I suffer severely with anxiety and depression. I have a very happy life, I go to a school that I love, I have a supportive and loving family, I'm in a healthy and loving relationship but sometimes I still feel like I'm drowning. Dogs know when there is something wrong. They know when you need them. With all of the responsibility that comes with a puppy that is sometimes the best thing that you could have, something to take you out of your own mind.

People will try and tell you that puppies are a bad idea in college but I'll be the first to tell you that they are wrong. They are a lot of work, they are stressful, but they are wonderful and will prepare you for adulthood a hell of a lot faster than and Gen-Ed Class. If you are interested in adopting a dog or puppy please take everything into consideration and dig deep and ask your self if you're ready. And check your local shelters first!!!

P.S. here is my four-month-old while this article was written