How Far Would You Go For A T-Shirt? | The Odyssey Online

How Far Would You Go For A T-Shirt?

33 miles, that's how far.

12
How Far Would You Go For A T-Shirt?
Nat Harrington

In February of 2016, I ran a 50k.

That's pretty cool, right? However, what may surprise you, is that I'm really not a runner. I'm that person that "runs sometimes". I like to go running, but only if I'm feeling it- so like once every week...ish. This is about that experience. 33 miles gives anyone a long time to think, and here are some of the things I learned during what would become both the best and (mostly) the worst 7 1/2 hours of my life, along with some FAQs to clear the air.

You're first question is why- why did I do it?

Well, the easy answer for anyone who has a sibling, is that my sister had already done two of them, and when she signed up for the third she asked, "So, are you gonna do this one?"

That's really the only answer. I did it because I have an older sister by whom I am quite easily persuaded.

Next you ask, "What was it like?"

The answer to that is also surprisingly easy- at the beginning I was on top of the world. Adrenaline pumping, 6am, 5 degrees, and 33 miles to go. However, when we got to the first mile mark and I realized I had to run 32 more of those, I just about had a mental breakdown. Fast forward to the 8-12 mile stretch: I felt amazing. My body was warm, the sun was up, and I felt like I could go all day.

Fast forward to mile 16.

This was the real turning point. We were back at the beginning of the race, after a gruelingly mountainous, narrow, and rocky terrain for the past 4 miles, and it was sinking in that now we had to turn around and go back through EVERYTHING. Never in my life have I felt more emotionally, mentally, and physically unstable. (Spoiler alert, we did indeed keep going).

Fast forward to mile 26ish. Realizing that you have successfully run a marathon, yet must keep running for another 7 miles is a tough pill to swallow. At this point in time, describing my experience is simple: shards of glass. That is what it feels like my feet have become. Every step is just shards of glass. Every time we turn uphill, I reassure myself that there is no way I'm making it to the finish line. However, we finally make it to the checkpoint before the last four miles- way ahead of schedule- leaving us with like a solid 2.5 hours to go the last 4 miles. Which is good. Because the average mall-shopper could have easily walked past us at this speed.

Upon finishing the race, for literally days afterward I would get the odd sensation that I was running indefinitely.

"Was it fun?"

Absolutely not. Zero percent of it was fun. However, I wouldn't change anything! There was no greater feeling than being able to say YES when the skeptics called and asked, "Wait, did you actually finish?"

The whole (poor) training process, I was surrounded by people that did not believe I could finish a 50k. In fact, the only person who ever said they believed in me, was my sister. That's all I needed. She stayed by me for every step, through every fall (there were 8 of them), and we crossed that finish line together. Nothing has felt better than that, EVER.

SO what did I learn?

I learned that the body is capable of doing far more than we give it credit for- (I ran for 7.5 HOURS in >20 degree weather!)

I learned that training is incredible important, and that should I ever do one of these again, which I most likely won't, I need to get my act together far sooner, lest I wish to die.

I learned that I, personally, can do so much more than I could have ever imagined.

I learned that sometimes running is the best- and sometimes it's the absolute worst.

I learned that 7.5 hours is a very long time to be on one's feet.

I learned that my face swells up when I get really dehydrated.

I learned that my sister is a very motivation (and persuasive) person.

I learned that life is far to short to not take risks.

^^^^^^that. All day long. It would have been SO EASY to just say no! To have never run the 33 miles would have been so simple. But I did! I ran them, and now if nothing else, I have a t-shirt, and I can say I ran a 50k. I was able to push my body to the limit, and learn to be completely reliant on God, (and on my sister!)

I could have never done this on my own, and that's a cool realization.

Fun fact, the next day, my sister, two friends, and myself, hiked an almost 4000 foot mountain. Some might say, "stupid", but I say you know what? Live a life you're excited to talk about. Nothing else is worth it.