A House Divided: FSU Vs. UM Edition

A House Divided: FSU Vs. UM Edition

Making my family great again

318
A House Divided: FSU Vs. UM Edition
everythingdoormats.com

I never thought my family would have the issue of being a house divided. I grew up with the mentality that Florida State University was the sworn enemy, the chop was a forbidden arm movement, and "seminole" was a word that was never to be spoken. The University of Miami, however, was held on a pedestal. My dad went to UM and passed on his love for the Hurricanes to me. I was so young and naive, I didn't know any better so you can't blame me for my lack of judgement.

I would go to Miami football and baseball games, and FSU weekend was always a spectacle in my house. We would deck out in orange and green and I would walk around the house with my Sebastian stuffed animal that played the UM fight song. Not only was I running around yelling "C-A-N-E-S" but I was constantly reassuring people that the only way to find FSU was to "go north until you smell it and left until you step in it". Again, this wasn't one of my proudest moments.

As I got older, I became wiser and more educated. I soon realized that I had been cheering for the wrong team all my life. When college tours came around, I figured the only way to tour FSU was on UM weekend at Doak Campbell, the best and most spirited stadium in the nation. I was hesitant at first to sport garnet and gold and be around everything and everyone that I was forbidden to associate myself with when I was younger. However, when the warchant started playing, it was almost like a natural instinct to move my arm along with the chant. It was then that I knew I would have to break the news to my dad that I had found my new home.

I came back with FSU shirts galore and he actually deemed my actions disrespectful. He even threatened to cut up my shirts. Poor guy was in denial for a very long time that his money would be going towards his enemy- but hey, at least I'm not a Gator. I ended up not even touring the University of Miami, which made my dad a very unhappy camper.

As my freshman year came around, my dad started warming up to the idea that I was about to become a seminole and he would have no choice but to support my decision. By the first game, he bought an FSU polo. After the shirt came the season tickets for him and my mom to attend every home game possible. Then came the true testament: my first UM vs. FSU weekend as a Seminole and his first weekend as an FSU parent. What would it be? Who would he cheer for? To my surprise, he walked up to me wearing an FSU game day shirt, which brought tears to my eyes. He still cheered for his alma mater, but everyone was convinced he was a 'Nole from the outside.

I'm proud to say that I have officially converted my dad into a Florida State Seminole fan (kind of). I don't remember the last time I saw him wearing orange and green, and my mom sure doesn't support the colors that have now been banned from my house. The only thing I have to work on is getting my dad to do the Tomahawk chop. Only then will he be considered a true seminole. As this year's FSU vs. UM weekend comes to a close, I know my dad will make me proud while he supports his new found love for the best school in the state of Florida. Until next year and as always, Go 'Noles!