Hope, Faith, And Prayer: College Edition | The Odyssey Online

Hope, Faith, And Prayer: College Edition

These three things are the only reason I'm making it through my freshman year so far.

8
Google

College is not easy. Though it is really fun, by no means is it easy or simple. College is tough, it is stressful and it is most definitely worrisome. I'm a full time college student, I'm in a women's fraternity (shoutout to all my Zeta sisters!!), and I teach a class at church every Wednesday.

Honestly, I do not know anybody could actually make it through their week in college sanely without hope, faith and prayer. Every week, I either have a test, a quiz, an exam or 20 assignments due. When I say the ONLY reason I have made it to the end of my freshman year in college is because of hope, faith and prayer, I mean that just as literal as possible. God only knows how I have made it because I sure couldn't have done it without Him.

Hope.

One specific song that comes on K-Love all time called Praise You In This Storm is my theme song almost every day. "I lift my eyes until the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, maker of Heaven and Earth." When I have started to lose hope, that exact lyric from the song is like a reminder. As long as you keep your eyes on Him, He's gonna help you. As long as you keep that hope of a mustard seed in Him, you just keep on trucking. God is gonna help you out just as long as you help yourself out too. Don't tell yourself that you might as well just not study, have some faith in yourself too and actually try. You can't just study for F and expect an A. You can't lose hope in yourself, or in God either. When everybody else fails you and loses hope in you, He won't.

Faith.

Everyone has those days where you're just like, what the heck am i even doing with my life? With me, that is every day. Not only do i not know what i want to major in, I don't know what I want to do for the rest of my life. College is that time where you're expected to know what you want to do, and start working on getting to where you want to be. That expectation is a joke to me. I used to want to be a teacher, a lawyer, and like 10 other things. The only thing that gets me through those moments where I'm just like, "Why God?" is faith. He knows what He's doing with me, even though I don't, that doesn't matter. When He wants to reveal to me what He needs me to do with my life, He will. He's not on my time, I'm on His time. Faith is how I am able to trust that if I just keep on sticking with Him, He'll lead me to where I'm suppose to be.

Prayer.

Prayer is everything. On good days, on bad days, on days you cant move out of bed to get to class because you went out the night before (which is never a good idea to begin with). You should always start your day with prayer, and end your day with prayer. Although in college, we all have a hard time even thinking about praying when we have three exams and five assignments in one week, right? The only reason I can stay sane through this month of April is prayer. It's crunch time, and I have got nine days of classes left, which means I have a lot of studying and praying left to do. Prayer is what helps me get through rough days when I'm running low on hope and faith, and always remember, there's never a wrong time to pray. Whether you're about to go and give that presentation for your final grade or simply working on your last paper for the semester, you better pray. When nobody else is listening, God is.