Honoring Those Who Serve, One Push-Up At A Time | The Odyssey Online

Honoring Those Who Serve, One Push-Up At A Time

22Kill is changing the way we celebrate our veterans.

9

As I’m sure you’ve noticed, there’s been a bit of an upsurge of push-up videos on you Facebook timeline. And no, I’m not talking about the "gainz" updates from that meathead you sat next to in high school pre-calculus that still lives, breathes and sleeps at your hometown YMCA. These videos are bringing the country together to remember and honor the 22 veterans that take their lives every day.

The movement is called 22Kill. Seems a little abrasive, right? The word “kill” evokes nasty, negative images of bloodshed, violence and mourning. But that’s the point – a word is a word, yet its stigma holds so much power over our thoughts and feelings. Likewise, the word "veteran" has a negative stigma as well that places inaccurate judgments and labels on the men and women that have returned from combat. The irony in the name 22Kill is a mission in itself -- to turn a word associated with death and suffering into one that is instead identified with community and life.

Honor Courage Commitment, Inc. is the non-profit responsible for this revolutionary idea. Founded by a Marine veteran, the “challenge” is to do a push-up for each veteran life that is lost. But don’t worry – the challenge doesn’t discriminate against the push-up-challenged. Although the idea began with 22 push-ups for 22 lives, any amount and any modification (assisted, inclined, some version of the worm, etc.) is accepted and encouraged.

Good news for my fellow lesser-swol swolemates, right? Because unfortunately, we’re not all Stanley Hudson and can rip out more than twenty-five and one girl push-up when our boss says we can leave the office early upon completion. All you have to do is record a video of you killing those push-ups and upload it directly onto the 22Kill Facebook, YouTube, Twitter or Instagram with a hashtag for the amount of pushups you did (for example, five push-ups would appear as #5pushups) and #22KILL . The coolest part? Your push-ups will be added to a counter of others taking the challenge around the country to reach the goal of 22 million in total. Keep the movement viral by nominating a friend. (Or just someone you would like to see workout…Zac Efron if you’re reading this, then I nominate you and will you marry me?)

Organizations have taken on the challenge together. Texas Tech athletics has done more than the Running Man Challenge this year.

Even this dedicated guy, Evan Arvedon, gathered some IDF soldiers on his birthright trip to Israel to help him rack up some more numbers and garner awareness for all those who have spent time serving their country.

Spoiler alert: this video on of a little league flag football team doing the challenge will melt your heart. 22Kill wants you to do the challenge your way, whether it’s a few at your gym, 22 in your kitchen, or you and your summer Euro-trip buddies in front of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, working off the last few weeks of pizza, pasta and vino. There’s no limit or requirement, only a will to join the movement to change the stigma and raise awareness for veteran suicide prevention.

A word is a word is a word. But a veteran is a person, a life -- 22 is a number and it’s also 22 too many lives lost. Take a few minutes out of your day to get that morning pump and honor those who served and others who are suffering. Join the community and build the community and be a part of the force that lowers that number from 22 to 21 to 15 to 5 to 0.

Want to get more involved? Visit the 22Kill website to donate or apply to the Veterans’ Advocate Program.