Home Is Where My Sisters Are | The Odyssey Online

Home Is Where My Sisters Are

How I realized Chi Omega is my true home.

17
Home Is Where My Sisters Are
Rebecca Holland

Do you know the saying "You don't know what you've got until it's gone?" This saying hit me hard this year because I had to leave the place that—for once in my life—felt like my home away from home.

At first, the thought of living with 50 other girls terrified me. It sounded like some sort of nightmare sororities set up just to try and torture everyone. Little did I know how much this house would save me at a time when I was confused, overwhelmed, and stressed beyond belief.

Never once did a sister fail to ask me how I was. There was always someone who noticed if I had a bad day, and there were even more sisters who were willing to make that day better. Every single woman I had the pleasure of living with "worked earnestly, spoke kindly, and acted sincerely."

I had the pleasure of living with Bailey, who has a smile that can light up any room; Zoe, who was always up for talking at 3 a.m.; and Fiona, who gives the best advice out of anyone I know. Julia was always so kind, and Elle never failed to make everyone laugh with her amazingly cute personality. Jess showed everyone what it meant to be a strong leader even during rough times. My first roommate in the house, Aubrie, showed me how awesome it can be to live with someone you've never met.

Catherine and McKenna were always showing me how to better myself just through the way they worked so hard every day. I got to be roommates with my "Big," my "G," and my future roommate. I got to live in the same house as my cousin (who is actually related to me; I know sorority life is confusing). I got to watch Megan, Alli, Catherine, and Allison be the best "sing" coaches ever, all while talking with girls who I never would have met without living in the sorority house.

Every girl I lived with this year was beyond what I could have asked for in friendships or sisterhood. I never realized how much I would miss living with everyone until my last day when I realized I wouldn't be able to see these girls for three months. I had grown so used to walking into the house every day with new conversations and a shoulder to cry on if need be.

Time goes by too quickly. Embrace every moment given to you. I know I'll be back in the house often next year. I am only hoping my sweet "Little" has the same amazing experience I was granted.

I fell in love with the campus at Oregon State University last year, but I always saw Portland as my home. It was where all my friends and family were, and where I wanted to be most days. This year, living in the Chi Omega sorority house has finally given me my second home and sisters for life.