Hiking Is Good For The Soul

Hiking Is Good For The Soul

Why hiking is good for you even when you are stressed or worn out from life.

12
Hiking Is Good For The Soul
Danielle Schilling

Recently I had the opportunity to visit my sister near Chattanooga. This mini trip was planned as a relaxing, sister-bonding time in between the busy days of a semester at college. We both were tired, worn out, and in need of some renewal of our souls. That is exactly what we got.

The first day I was there we basically chilled the whole day. We walked around a mall with a roommate of hers who is fantastic. We didn't buy anything but saw so many wonderful items we wished we could. However we all were broke college kids, so we continued just looking.

On the second day, however, we actually did something. We didn't just go outside and walk around. We drove to Lookout Mountain and hiked the various trails there. I can't say I loved it because the feeling of walking around above Chattanooga was so much deeper than that, much more stronger.

At different points on the trail we could lookout (hence the name of the mountain) and see Chattanooga stretch out before us, but what pleased me the most was that I didn't just see the city. I saw trees, other mountains, and a river encompass the city. I saw a combination of man-made materials blending with God's beautiful creation. It was beautiful.

As we hiked up the incline, my sister and I talked about anything. We sang songs from our childhood, reminded each other of inside jokes, and talked about our struggles. We hadn't truly talked since the last time she was home, so there was a lot to catch up on between the two of us. Talking with her on our hike felt like I released a bunch of built up stress that I didn't even know about.

We hiked for at least three miles. It was hard to tell how many exactly because we switched paths frequently. We ended up not where we started, so we got to take another scenic route through the neighborhood on top of the mountain. All I can say is that I probably will never be able to afford a house in that neighborhood, but what a view I would have if I could.

Now, looking back on our long hike, I realize that hiking was more than just a simple exercise for my sister and me. My soul needed to hike. Something about being stuck out on the side of a mountain without a building or even a car nearby relaxes the soul. Hiking out there with no quick way of moving around makes you feel small but a good small. I understood then that in my fast-paced life I was the center, but out on the side of a mountain, the nature around me was the center. I adapted my movements to hike through the rocks and tree roots along the path. I felt tiny in comparison to these rocks and plants that have been on the mountain for years and years.

Among the hundred and hundreds of trees, not for a moment did I ever feel alone. Even when my sister and I had to walk single file because the path was so narrow, I didn't feel like no one was walking beside me. You see, hiking can be a metaphor for our Christian life. We may feel like we are the only one who believes-- me feeling small among the many trees--but not for a moment has God left us. Even when the path changes from a wide, clear one to a narrow, difficult one, God does not leave us. Never will He forsake us, and forever will He walk with us. We just have to follow what the bible tells us: walk by faith and not by sight.

I knew, hiking down the narrow path I was on, my sister and I would hike together side-by-side again. I just had to wait for a wider path. How much more joyful is the news that God is right there beside us no matter the width of the path.

At the close of another week, I realize that the hike was not just good for my physical health or relationship with my sister. The hike was good for my soul. My soul needed to escape the dizzying world of a full-time student and part-time worker. After the trip, I felt uplifted and rejuvenated. Now, whenever I feel stressed with work or school I will literally go take a hike. Why? Because hiking is good for the soul.