The Memories Of High School Football Games | The Odyssey Online

The Memories Of High School Football Games

"I got your number, I got your back when your back's against the wall."

421
Carbon Hill High School Photography

It doesn't matter who you were in high school, going to a game after you've graduated will always make you feel some type of way.

The main thing I stress to every high school student is to go to the football games! It doesn't matter if you don't play, you're not a cheerleader, you're not in the band, you might not even like football, but trust me, when you graduate, you'll miss those Friday night lights. Sure there's always college games -- roar lions -- but there might come a day when you just so happen to be home visiting on a Friday night and there will be a home game at your old high school. A voice in your head and a gut feeling will convince you to go and suddenly all of those old feelings will come rushing back. It's completely different being in the stands after you've graduated than it is while you're still in school. It's a feeling that I'll never be able to fully explain, but trust me on this.

To all current high school students: if we come to a game and the student section is slacking, don't think we won't raise hell. Y'all don't want to be loud and make a scene? Your loss. We gladly will get something started. Break out your pom poms and your cowbells because we have high expectations for the student section, especially since we're not running it every Friday night. If you want to join, you're more than welcome to. We're all family and we all bleed blue. Even if you don't see us in the halls anymore.

To all of our amazing boys of fall: we're all behind you. We always have been and we always will be. I know it's different missing a few team members, but they're standing in the crowd watching you. Use that as motivation. If we're being honest, there's a chance you'll hear some of the guys yelling at you because they remember all the plays and it didn't work out the way it was supposed to. Don't let us down and do not give the guys the opportunity to see you after the game and say, "We would've beat that team if we had our team from senior year."

To all the cheerleaders: nothing is worse than a "has been" cheerleader. We know all the cheers, we know all of your eight counts, we're watching your high V's to make sure you're sharp, and don't think we can't still do the booty drop because we will get out there and do it in a heartbeat. But in all honesty, it's only because we'd give anything to be back on that sideline on top of the world.

To the band: don't think we forgot about you. You're the ones who are setting the mood and the vibe for the stands. Never forget that. Be loud, be proud and kick ass during the half time show. We all support you just as much as we support the football team.

We may be "has beens" but one day, you will be, too. It kills us not being able to go to the pep rallies and sing the alma mater. We miss being on the field and being on top of the food chain walking the hallways on game day. We want to paint our faces, we want the pom poms and the shakers, we miss dressing up on game day and proving that our class is the best during homecoming. We miss trash talking on social media to the other team and getting away with it. Now if we try, we just look like grown men and women bullying high school kids and could get arrested so we'll let you guys handle that. Just know that we agree with you that you're so much better than them and their quarterback can't throw at all. Oh, and don't get me started on having to actually pay to park and get into the games. What do you mean that I'm not considered a student anymore? It's only been two years since I graduated!

One day you'll understand where I'm coming from when you go back to your hometown and get the same nostalgic feeling. You'll try to convince yourself that you're OK and you don't miss it, but we'll both know the truth. Wear those colors proudly, hold your head up high in the hallways because you're the kings and queens of the school, have school spirit, and remember your roots. You're a part of a family for life and don't ever forget it.

As for me, I'll wear this "has been" tag with pride because I know I had the best years in this town and it's time to pass the torch down. I'll never forget these days and believe me when I say you're gonna miss these lights.