A Helpful Summary Of Trump's Immigration Plans | The Odyssey Online

A Helpful Summary Of Trump's Immigration Plans

You know he wants to build a wall, but what else does he have planned?

18
CNN

When it comes to the presidential race, our generation heavily relies on what they see on social media to form their perceptions about certain candidates.

For the first time, I actually visited a candidates website to read their reformation plans in-depth. I was curious to see what other controversial plans Donald Trump had in addition to the "Make Mexico Pay for the Wall" campaign.

This article is meant to inform all generations and to encourage them to make educated votes during the election. It is critical to do your research and find out what a potential leader of our free nation believes.

Without further ado, direct from DonaldJTrump.com, here is a short summary of his immigration plans as the possible President of the United States.

1. Build a wall and make Mexico pay for it.

This one is pretty well known. If Mexico refuses to pay for the wall, Trump plans on penalizing them by increasing fees on visas issued to Mexicans or cancelling them altogether, increasing fees on all boarder crossing cards, and increasing fees at ports of entry into the United States from Mexico, among other things.

2. Triple the number of ICE officers.

In other words, triple the number of boarder control officers. According to the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) website, they currently employ about 20,000 people. Trump's website does not mention how he plans to pay for tripling this number.

3. Return all criminal aliens.

He plans to return criminal immigrants to their home countries. If these countries do not take the immigrants back, he will cancel any visas granted to those foreign countries altogether.

4. Defund sanctuary cities.

There are certain cities, especially close to the southwest border of the United States, which offer amenities such as housing and healthcare to immigrants who cannot afford these services. Trump plans to cut-off all federal grants to these entire cities until the sanctuary sites cease assisting immigrants.

5. End birthright citizenship.

If you are born in the United States, but your parents happen to be illegal immigrants, you are still not considered an American citizen. Trump's website is unclear if this applies only to the children of illegal immigrants, or to the children of legal immigrants as well.

6. Put American workers first.

In short, employers will be allowed to turn down applicants based on their nationality. They must first choose to hire from a pool of Americans, and they move on to the pool of non-Americans.

7. End job programs for inner-city youth.

This includes the issuing of student work visas. Many high school and college students from other countries apply for visas, which is an extensive and expensive process, to work in the United States for a certain period of time. Trump plans on terminating this program.

I encourage all voters to do their research, not just on the main democratic and republican candidates, but on the other independent candidates as well. Be an educated thinker, not just one who blindly jumps on their favorite bandwagon.