5 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes

5 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes

What if we could eat comfort food and not regret it later?

23
5 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes
amazonaws.com

You're lying if you're saying you have never turned to food when you're sad. Most comfort foods are unhealthy, and we usually feel even worse after because of all the weight we just put on. What if there are foods out there that aren't 100% bad for you, but still fill the same hole that comfort food does? Talk about the best of both worlds!

1. Skinny Mozzarella Sticks

Ingredients: 6 skim mozzarella sticks, 2 cups of whole wheat bread crumbs,1 tablespoon of dried parsley, tablespoon of dried oregano, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, 3 whisked eggs, 1 cup of all purpose flower, warm marinara

Directions: 1. Halve mozzarella sticks and freeze until frozen (at least 3 hours). 2. In a small bowl, whisk together bread crumbs, in another bowl whisk eggs, and in another bowl add flour.� 3. Coat frozen mozzarella sticks in flour, then dip in the eggs, then dip in the bread crumbs. Repeat process until mozzarella sticks are fully coated. 4. Freeze for 30 minutes. 5. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.� 6. Serve with marinara.

2. Eggplant Pizza Bites

Ingredients: 2 large eggplants, extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, 1 cup of shredded mozzarella, 1/2 cup of mini pepperoni, 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan, 1/4 cup of finely sliced basil

Directions: 1. Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush both sides of eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. 2. Grill eggplant until slightly tender and charred on both sides, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side. Top each round with mozzarella and mini pepperoni. Keep eggplant on the grill so that the cheese can melt. Remove eggplant from grill and top with Parmesan and basil.

3. Chicken Fried Cauliflower

Ingredients: 1 head of cauliflower, 1 flour, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 3 eggs, vegetable oil, 1/4 cup of honey, 1 teaspoon of hot sauce

Directions: 1. Slice cauliflower into thick steaks, about 3/4 to 1 inch thick. 2. Place cauliflower into a large skillet and pour water in until it reaches about halfway up the cauliflower. Put water over medium heat and cover the pan and let it steam for 4-5 minutes. Drain the cauliflower and let it cool completely. 3. Put the eggs and flour in separate shallow bowls or plates. Mix garlic powder, paprika and 1 teaspoon of salt in with the flour. Dip the cauliflower into the flour mixture until it is covered completely. Toss the flour-coated cauliflower pieces into the eggs until they're evenly coated, then toss back into flour mixture. 4. Pour 1/2 of vegetable oil into the same, dry, skillet and heat over medium heat. When the oil is heated, add the cauliflower and fry for 2 minutes. Flip and fry for another 2 minutes. 5. Mix together honey and hot sauce and drizzle over the fried cauliflower.

4. Curly Zucchini Fries

Ingredients: 2 large zucchini, 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, vegetable oil, 1/3 cups of Parmesan, 1/2 cup of marinara

Directions: 1. Heat 1 inch of oil in a large pot over medium heat. 2. Whisk together flour, Italian seasoning, 2 teaspoon of salt and pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Dredge zucchini flours into the flour mixture and toss until evenly coated. 3. Once the oil is hot, pick up the flour covered zucchini and drop into the oil. Use the tongs to separate the clumping so that they fry evenly. Fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and add salt and pepper to taste.

5. Greek Yogurt Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients: 1/2 pound of dry elbow macaroni, 1 T of olive oil, 1 T of all purpose flour, 1/2 cup of 2% reduced fat milk, 1 t of salt, 1/4 t of pepper, 3/4 cup of shredded Monterrey jack cheese, 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Directions: 1. Cook the pasta according to packing directions. Drain and set aside. 2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 3. Heat olive oil over medium heat in medium saucepan until it shimmers. 4. Add in flower and stir briskly to form a roux. Let roux cook for about 1 minute while constantly stirring. 5. Slowly pour in the milk while stirring constantly with the whisk. 6. When the sauce is completely smooth add in the salt, pepper and Monterrey jack cheese. 7. Stir until cheese is melted and texture is very smooth. 8. Remove from heat and let the cheese slightly cool. Add in the Greek yogurt; whisk together until very smooth. 9. Add cooked pasta and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese to the sauce. Stir with a spatula until all pasta is covered in sauce and cheddar cheese. 10. Pour mixture into greased baking dish. 11. Top with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese. 12. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. 13. Serve!