Harry Potter VS Christianity

Harry Potter VS Christianity

JK Rowling, Harry Potter, and the Bible?

112
Harry Potter VS Christianity
Gary Muncy

This is a continuation of my last article of Harry Potter vs Christianity:

In the last book of the Harry Potter Series, Harry dies. On Hubpages the article “Harry Potter: Parallels to Christianity and the Bible”, tells how Harry sacrificed his life to save the world just like how Jesus did. Harry defeated Voldemort to save the world. Jesus defeated sin to save the world. Harry could not live while Voldemort did. One had to eventually die. However, Harry does end up coming back to life to destroy his enemy. This is a parallel on how Jesus and Harry are alike. When Harry comes back to life his scar is gone that attached him to Voldemort. This is like how Jesus’ death and resurrection cut people’s ties with eternal death. Now people are free to choose to live forever with God.

Throughout the books it was evident that a lot of people did not accept the fact that Harry was the chosen one, like how people did not accept the fact that Jesus was the messiah. But, both Jesus and Harry had their close friends helping them get through their hard times. Jesus had the 12 disciples. Harry had his two best friends as well has his best friend Ron’s family. But not only that, Harry had his godfather, Sirius Black. Sirius Black was part of a group that would protect Harry in time of need. This is like how Jesus had the angels in heaven that would do anything for him at any given time.

There are a lot of parallels between the Bible and the Harry Potter books, but along with that are a lot of interesting things that Rowling says about her Harry Potter books. In the article Matilda Battersby wrote about JK Rowling she mentions how Rowling feels bad about having a character killed for knowing too much. The reason she felt bad was because he was killed for no reason at all besides knowing too much, although that was not the first character that Voldemort killed for no reason.

This character was Florean Fortesque, the ice-cream owner in Diagon Alley. He was killed off in the fifth book, The Order of the Phoenix, but was first introduced to the Harry Potter world in the book Prisoner of Azkaban. The way he was killed was by being dragged off by Voldemort’s Death Eaters. These Death Eaters remind us of anything that could be a negative memory or thought that can eat you alive- they pretend to be your biggest fears, and kill you by eating your soul.

Another interesting fact that Battersby brings up is that the wizards did celebrate Christmas, which is odd because people wouldn’t think the books would have this holiday since Christmas is often seen to be a Christian holiday. So if it has Christmas in it, it should be considered a Christmas novel? That is what a lot of people think. But Christmas has become a worldly holiday. It has taken away from its true meaning, with Santa Claus and all. So then, why do people get so frustrated about this Christian holiday being in the book? The reason is because Christmas is often viewed as a Christian holiday.

Another religion you wouldn’t expect to be represented in the books is Judaism. But in an interview Rowling had, she was asked why there were no Jewish wizards. However, she assured them that Anthony Goldstein was a Jewish wizard. This wizard was introduced as one of the main 40 wizards.

Rowling was also asked if her wizards could be considered related to the religion of Wicca. But she assured them that her wizards are nothing like them. They cannot be defined by what the Wicca is. The reason why is because the magic concept is different. They cannot co-exist. She defined her books well against the Wicca because they are actual witchcraft. People think it is represented in her books, but Rowling states that it is not.

As far as JK Rowling’s own beliefs she seems honest, but uncertain. Her own beliefs towards afterlife and mortality may change any given day. She is devoted to Christianity. When she was asked if she believes in God in her interview with The Hollowverse, she said that she is uncertain about the existence of God but feels He is probably out there. She is very spiritually flexible but certain about Christianity.

Growing up near Bristol, England, she was raised by an Anglican family, though she was converted to the Church of Scotland in her later life. She now hopes that her faith will return to her; she struggles with faith a lot. She does believe in life after death, though she feels she may change her mind here and there. Rowling mentions that it is evident that she thinks about life after death a lot through her books, and that it is obvious throughout- it is almost like she is trying to tell the world what she thinks and struggles with. Some people feel the books are either leading to Christianity or to the occult. To contradict the occult, Rowling attended church while writing the Harry Potter books.

Rowling is also very opinionated when it comes to politics. She leans more towards the liberal/democrat side of things. In 2008, during the presidential elections JK Rowling said that she wanted a democrat in the White house. Liking both Hillary and Obama she was sad they were up against each other because she liked them both. Well, she got her wish when it came to getting a democrat for the American government.

She is not a fan of the British government because of the Tory Party as well as their Prime Minister, David Cameron. What she doesn’t like about Cameron is his views towards woman. He supports married mothers over single moms. This hurt Rowling, because she spent her early life as a mother in poverty. She has said, “If Mr. Cameron’s only practical advice to women living in poverty, the sole cares of their children, is to ‘get married, and we’ll give you 150 euros,’ he reveals himself to be completely ignorant of their true situation" in The Hollowverse article, “The Religious and Political Views of JK Rowling".

For the conclusion of this three part series, please read next week's article.

Kershaw, Tom. “The Religious and Political Views of JK Rowling.” The Hollowverse, MK Safi, 16 March. 2012, http://hollowverse.com/j-k-rowling/

Hubpages. “Harry Potter: Parallels to Christianity and the Bible.” Hubpages, Hubpages, 30 August. 2013, http://hubpages.com/literature/Harry-Potter-Christ-Like-or-Not