10 Reasons Why "Hamilton" Is The Best Musical On Broadway Right Now | The Odyssey Online

10 Reasons Why "Hamilton" Is The Best Musical On Broadway Right Now

The story of one of our favorite founding fathers is told through rap, dance numbers and bright lights.

753
shaneasavours.com

Rap, history lessons and the founding fathers reimagined in different ethnicities — who could ask for anything better? "Hamilton" debuted in February 2015 and — as the song so adeptly states — “the world turned upside down.” As all theater buffs can affirm, musicals teach us so much about life, and "Hamilton" is no exception.

1. We get a more personal view of one of our founding fathers.

We watch Alexander Hamilton fall in love, and suddenly he becomes a real person, and not some great historical figure we could never relate to. Of course, there are mysterious circumstances surrounding this romance, but I won't be the one to tell you about them.

2. We actually are learning the history of our country.

This fabulous musical makes us more intellectual! The whole musical is a history lesson, but you forget that once you become absorbed in the story.

3. This history of Alexander Hamilton and our country is told in rap and other fantastic musical forms.

Do I even need to talk about how cool this is?

4. We get an entirely new perspective of our country’s founding.

"Hamilton" tells the of our country's founding through more perspectives than the pictures in history books.

5. The guy who wrote the show, Lin-Manuel Miranda, is the main character — Alexander Hamilton!

Who could understand how to play the role better than someone who wrote it? Miranda was inspired by the 2004 biography of Alexander Hamilton, written by Ron Chernow.

6. King George sings a very obnoxious love song to America, and it’s hilarious!

“I will send a fully-armed battalion to remind you of my love.”

7. Seriously, Hamilton’s love for his son will bring tears to anyone’s eyes.

“Phillip, when you smile I am undone.” Hamilton had a father who wasn’t around, and he swears he will be around for his son. Not only will he be around for his son, but he will create a firm foundation in his country for his son to grow up in.

8. You learn a little about the Schuyler sisters.

Especially the sad circumstances that surround the formation of Hamilton's relationship with Eliza.

9. Hamilton’s non-stop writing career is so inspiring.

“Why do you write like your running out of time?” Out of 85 essays in The Federalist Papers, Hamilton wrote 51 of them. This man showed us all the power of words: how words can change the nation, how they can change everything.

10. We see how much talent Alexander Hamilton had and how many sacrifices he had to make in order to make a better world for us all.

He spent very little time with his wife and children, but he was determined to make a difference. “I am not throwing away my shot!”

Hamilton shook the world 250 years ago, and now he is shaking the world again as his story is told onstage. Through rap, inspirational music, and a great deal of jazz, it tells how our country was founded. All that America is now is because of what Hamilton — and others like him — did for us. "Hamilton" is the best musical on Broadway right now because it gives justice to this great historical figure and reminds us all “how lucky we are to be alive right now.”