Gundam: A Beginner's Guide

Gundam: A Beginner's Guide

28 seasons. Movies. Manga. Let us help.

3613
Gundam: A Beginner's Guide

Mobile Suit Gundam, the Japanese cultural juggernaut created by Yoshiyuki Tomino in 1979 is perhaps the largest meta series of anime in existence. For those who want a piece of the space war robot action, it may seem a daunting task to wade out into the seemingly endless waves of characters, series, and mecha.

The real trick is to find out the best place to start and go from there. Since the series vary severely in quality of content, picking the wrong starting point could abruptly end a new love before it has the chance to begin.

Highlighted here are selections of the series' most well known offerings with anecdotal notes on pros, cons, and most importantly, whether or not the season in question should be the first you view.

Universal Contentment

The main timeline of Gundam is referred to as the Universal Century.

This new era succeeded A.D. on our calendar after mankind took to space as colonists. Just over half a century passes in this new timeline before the original Mobile Suit Gundam starts. From there, we have eight other offerings set in this timeline.

Since this is the most popular and critically acclaimed timeline in the Gundam universe, we're going to focus entirely on this timeline.

Mobile Suit Gundam - Universal Century 0079

Year: 1979

Length: 43 episodes

What it is: The quintessential gundam series that started the phenomenon is an epic space opera that tells the story of rookie teenage pilot, Amuro Ray, who is forced into battling with the prototype weapon the Gundam. The plot follows Amuro and his friends aboard the White Base as they deal with the trials and tribulations of the war, just barely surviving each battle. This series chronicles what the war's greatest heroes and highest command were up to during the One Year War in Universal Century 0079.

Pros: Fantastic story, a plethora of interesting characters, and a seriously moving take on the tragedies of war give Mobile Suit Gundam quite a bit of pull. Its influence cannot be denied and adds a certain level of entertainment if you're into that sort of thing. This show also features the proto-typical anime rivalry in Amuro's battles against the Red Comet, Char Aznable, who is a fascinating character in his own right. Lots drama, revenge, and an ultimately optimistic coming-of-age story round off this adventure.

Cons: The animation is dated both in quality and aesthetic (Though I really, really enjoy the retro vibe). Produced during the late seventies, it leaves a good deal to be desired when compared to current animation. It also leaves plot points and some character's motivations to the viewers imagination, which for some is engaging, and for others is annoying.

First Gundam?: Depends/Yes. It absolutely warrants a watch, but choosing it as your first may be tough if you're concerned with the old animation. If you're not, then have at one of the most influential animes of all time.

Note: The last quarter features lots of development on the concept of a Newtype, which are psychic humans deemed to be the next evolution of humanity. The concepts are heady but viewers are lead into it tactfully.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 8th MS Team - Universal Century 0079

Year: 1996

Length: 12 episodes

What it is: This is the story of untested commander Shiro Amada and his ragtag group of regular soldiers fighting on earth during the One Year War. This series takes place during the same year as the original. It contains a compelling Romeo and Juliet story and oodles of gritty mobile suit combat.

Pros: This series features rough mobile suit battles of attrition, with quite a bit of danger throughout for our protagonists. It also showcases the level of slime in both sides of the military to just as good a degree, if not better, than the original. The main characters are endearing while viewers are sincerely compelled to root for the central love story. The animation is killer, and the climax of the story contains what may be the best mobile duel in the lore.

Cons: The story is short, and some may be put off by the lackadaisical nature of the main character Shiro. The story also features some developments that may be considered undeserving of a suspension of disbelief because they are too far fetched.

First Gundam?: Yes. There isn't too much that you'll be lost on if this is your first. Its extremely bingeable at 12 episodes and stays fresh throughout because of this. The animation is high quality and the voice acting is top notch.

Note: Its also devoid of more "heady" concepts like universal compassion and the development of humans into psychics. It stays down to Earth but is ultimately, like all Gundam, expressing that war sucks.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Stardust Memory - Universal Century 0083

Year: 1991

Length: 13 episodes

What it is: This series follows test pilot Kou Uraki chasing after a gundam armed with nuclear weapons stolen by ace Zeon pilot Anavel Gato, the Nightmare of Solomon. This is a high tension series defined by two suspenseful races against time to stop two catastrophes. There is a romantic subplot, but the far superior story of a near revival of the Principality of Zeon by remnant forces is what we're here for. This is another story without insanely skilled pilots without psychic powers. There's also a twist in this one. Jury's out on whether its a good one or not.

Pros: This series boats of the highest production values of any gundam in terms of its art design and animation. The story is not the apex of storytelling, but is still classic Universal Century: politics merging with personal upon the stage of a cataclysmic struggle. The Characters are well rounded, and it explains a very important development in the history of the Universal Century. The battles are gritty and well matched, but take place mostly in space as opposed to Earth.

Cons: The characters are great, except for the fact that the main character and his love interest suck. You can't help but cheer for Kou, but he doesn't truly get serious into five or six episodes in. He finally evolves into a fine pilot by the end, his love interest Nina is a basket case and overdone throughout. The voice acting is not balanced. Some characters are done great, while others are cringe inducing.

First Gundam?: As badly as I want to be 100% behind this one, I have to give it a soft yes. While it certainly has aged exceptionally well, it occupies an interesting place in the lore and may be confusing at times for those who aren't initiated into the world. By that same token, some may enjoy the in medias res sort of feeling it would provide, supplying the viewer with some interesting questions that would lead to further viewing.

Note: Anavel Gato is a total badass but also offers depth as an antagonist. He's a fierce warrior with the loyalty of the hardest samurai who sincerely cares about his people, both his comrades and those he lost in the One Year War. He is a charismatic pilot who lives by his honor, and recognizes skill on both sides of the conflict with respect. Unfortunately, one of the central tenants of Zeon is that the space colonists are the future of man as a race and he fanatically adheres to the ideals of his fallen nation.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - Universal Century 0086

Year: 1985

Length: 50 episodes

What it is: This is the direct sequel to the original Mobile Suit Gundam series. It is created by the same director and its considered by many to be the apex of Gundam storytelling. Zeta follows Kamille Bidan, a newtype who is pulled into new conflict between space and earth. This time, the Earth government acts as our central antagonists, with a newly formed autonomous branch called the Titans, who commit heinous acts in the name of international security. This story drives (DRILLS) home the themes concerning the tragedy and illogicality of war, and what it does to innocent humans.

Pros: This has everything a great Gundam series viewers can hope for. It steps up the game of the original is almost every way. A host of cool and compelling characters, a plot full of twists and turns, cutting edge mecha designs, drama, warring factions with no clear good guy, and fast paced combat. Zeta is also the first series where the protagonist receives a new Gundam half way through, a trope that is now present is just about every series after it.

Cons: Zeta Gundam suffers from some pacing issues just before the second half begins, and while it has better animation than its predecessor, still has a retro feel to it. Zeta also struck me as the most melodramatic of the stories set in the original timeline.

First Gundam?: No. Watch the first series, or pick from the others before you move on to Zeta. By then you'll enjoy Gundam enough be motivated to find another series to bring you back up from the depressing ending. In all seriousness, it deals with themes and characters that are much richer if you've seen the original.

Note: Zeta Gundam is depressing - very depressing. By the end of the story half of the cast has died, and the ending, while not a complete downer, is not a resolution of the conflict.

Gundam Unicorn - Universal Century 0096

Year: 2010

Episodes: 7

What it is: This is the series that rounds off the original story of the Earth Federation vs. The Principality of Zeon. This time our young hero is Banagher Link, whose father is involved in a conspiracy spanning three decades. This series delves into players behind the scenes of the wars in Gundam. We follow Banagher and his allies (whom he makes on both sides) as they struggle to find Laplace's Box, which holds the power to destroy the Federation government. Banagher pilots the Unicorn gundam, which is far and away one of the best Gundam designs ever (even if its name can be off-putting).

Pros: This Gundam season takes the all around highest production value award. The story follows people of good character on both sides of the conflict who become embroiled in a cutthroat conflict being fought by shady organizations. This has everything: young love, revenge, tragedy, harsh choices, and one of my personal favorite coming-of-age stories in the protagonist, Banagher Links. The combat illustrates the pinnacle of gundam action. It quickly cuts back and forth from the pilots to shots of the mobile suits, cleverly conveying the sense of personal stake in the duel while giving us the sense its actually possible they are manipulating giant robots this way.

Cons: The "love" story comes out of the gate ridiculously strong. It will inevitably be too much for some people. The ending gets quite out of control. It is quite easily one of the best climaxes in Gundam, but some of the themes and ideas introduced have the viewer scratching their head.

First Gundam?: Yes. Even though there are references to past series in here, you will be able to get by on the merit of the story and production value. If anything, it would serve to motivate you to learn about the world's history. Its only seven episodes, and each are top quality viewing.

Note: Gundam Unicorn is as much a homage to the original as it is its own story. It stays true to the tone and spirit of the original work. It also features the most advanced technology ever animated in the Universal Century timeline.

Full Disclosure

Zeta Gundam has a direct sequel, ZZ Gundam, that we're not touching on because it is objectively one of the worst offerings from the Gundam universe on its own, and certainly does not deserve consideration as the first series to watch. It is extremely wacky in the first half and while it finally makes a tonal shift around then to a more serious tale, it still doesn't live up to its predecessors.

There is also a movie, rounding off the original conflict called Gundam: Char's Counterattack. This movie is notable for its inclusion of the final battle between Amuro, now an experienced ace pilot and Char, who has assumed his destiny as the leader of Zeon. Its final scenes are some of the best the Gundam universe has to offer, but the beginning would most likely be a slog for a new viewer.

Gundam series to avoid: ZZ Gundam, Victory Gundam, Gundam F91, Gundam AGE, and Gundam X.

Other Phenomenal Gundam series: Mobile Suit Gundam: Thunderbolt, Gundam: War in the Pocket, Mobile Suit Gundam 00, and Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans.

Bonus! - Alternate Universes

Mobile Fighter G Gundam - Future Century

Year: 1994

Length: 49

What it is: This series is an intentionally campy, hilariously over-the-top scream fest that follows chronic yeller Domon Kasshu searching for his evil brother Koji who has stolen the Dark Gundam. Our main character dresses in american street clothes, and wears a read cape with a katana over his shoulder. Gundam's are controlled by skin-tight body suits that convey motion the suits computer, allowing mobile suits to fight like humans. Our characters compete in the Gundam Fight, where the each combatant represents a nation of the Earth. The winner rules all of Earth and space until the next Gundam Fight.

Pros: This show is off the wall. The action is explosive, though it is not traditonal Gundam at all. This is martial arts action in giant robots. The story can be enjoyed as long as its understood there is quite a bit of self parody going on. The plot moves along quickly and the dub is great in its ridiculousness. Flashy fights ignite all the time with intricate finishing moves and epic music.

Cons: This series contains LOADs of camp. Its not supposed to be 100% serious, and this may put off some viewers. We also are introduced to characters that scream cultural stereotype loud enough that it can be offensive. There also isn't half as much depth here as the series in the Universal Century.

First Gundam: I have no doubt a new viewer would enjoy it. The issue would be that it lacks quite a bit of what makes the series unique. While some of the central themes remain, everything else goes out the window. Domon is a master martial artist, full of rage, and there is no war. This is all well and good on its own, but moving from G Gundam to another series might be difficult.

Note: If you enjoy Power Rangers, Dragonball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, or even Naruto you will probably find something to love in G Gundam. The political undertones are gone and replaced with straight camp. Domon's relationship with his on-again, off-again master is particularly ridiculous/hilarious/entertaining.

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing - After Colony

Year: 1995

Length: 49

What it is: Five Child Soldiers are sent to Earth as rebellion force by the colonies in their incredibly powerful mobile weapons known as Gundams. This series contains all the drama and political undertones of the original, but gives us five protagonists to follow who all fight guerilla battle against the corrupt Earth Government.

Pros: Gundam Wing has great animation, even better music, and a plethora of mecha designs that beg to be watched. There are plenty of characters to go around and they each have intriguing backstories. The story itself is interesting and leaps through three stages keeping the plot itself interesting.

Cons: Even though Gundam Wing has a well thought out story, the episodes suffer from very poor pacing and several offerings that feel like nothing but filler. We're also treated to cringe-worthy melodrama. While its not present throughout, we get hit hard during the very first episode (which also unfortunately has one of the best openings of any series) and again at the tale end of the series.

First Gundam: Yes. This Gundam introduced the U.S. to the series

Note: Gundam Wing was the very first Gundam to hit the states, and it was a huge hit. The nostalgia factor is huge here, so I may have a bit of bias. It does still contain some of my favorite designs and characters.