How to: Grinch Your Way through 2017

How to: Grinch Your Way through 2017

Rock 2017 Like the Grinch Rocks Christmas!

65
How to: Grinch Your Way through 2017

For most, finals week is coming to a close, the stress is wiped from our brows, and we are packing into a suitcase that for some reason, fits less that what we could get into our backpacks from fall semester.

So here we are, heading by bus, train, plane and automobile, back home to see our family, or just relaxing in our apartments enjoying a mix. But what we as college students - especially freshman - lack to take into consideration, is the importance of prepping for spring semester and the new year. Here's a list of new years resolutions that are reasonable, smart, and will have all students rocking 2017 like how the Grinch rocks Christmas.

De-Clutter

It helps to de-clutter everything. Like, just set aside a weekend. De-clutter your room/dorm, your car, your refrigerator, your brain, your sibling's room, your dog's toy bin, etc. Start your 2017 fresh, and get your life looking like you live in an IKEA magazine. Everything is white and dazzling.

Prioritize.

Honestly, if you don't do it now, it won't ever happen. So stop the anxious finger nail biting that started senior year of high school. DON'T PROCRASTINATE!

Seriously, the spring semester will be like a fresh start at school after a month of break. It's time to prioritize and be the boss of your own life! After all, college sets up your career, and that means it will determine the rest of your life. No worries.

Upgrade Your Wardrobe

For all those articles of clothing sitting in the back of your closet that make 'college you' scream, it's time to purge! Time to transition into appropriate, coming of age, adult-like clothes. Control the impulse buys, and save for clothes that make people say "wow, they've got it together." It's also good to be job interview ready, so buy a couple of suits, dress pants or blouses. Be mature, be confident, be stylish... but most importantly, be yourself and save money!

Get Some Sleep

Students tend to pull all-nighters before or during finals week, leaving them sleep deprived, hangry, and with a heavy caffeine hangover. During winter break, it's a good idea to reset your sleep schedule, especially since the doctors say young adults should be getting anywhere between 8-10 hours of sleep. And you probably only got 3 TOTAL.

Spend Some Time with Family and Friends

It's good to get out of the house, even if you are currently suffering somewhere in the mid-west United States (5 DEGREES yesterday in Wisconsin!). But really, winter break is good to get caught up on seeing friends and family that you haven't seen in some time. Especially now that you plan on prioritizing next year much better. That's right, no more sleep overs every night where no homework gets done. I know I'm guilty. But make sure you make time for friends and a good night out every once in a while. It's healthier than studying 24/7. Just don't make it into a daily thing.

Think Before You Do

This isn't just what it sounds like. To all those drunk memories - if we can even call them memories - it is good to have fun as a young adult, but its also great to be smart.

Be smart about what you say and do. We live in an ever-changing world and college campuses can be very diverse, which is honestly, an amazing thing. Let's not be thin-skinned but let's also not be offensive. Remember, treat people how you want to be treated.

Be respectful of your peers, professors and those on the internet. And make sure you are positive about something before you do it. You do things much better and are more likely going to finish if you have put thought into it first and feel confident about your choice.

So this is generalized, but a decent list that could potentially save you this new year coming around. Let's make 2017 much better than this year, and let's as students, enjoy, and be successful at what we do best! As our middle school selves would say, YOLO!