Green Bay Packer Preseason | The Odyssey Online

Green Bay Packer Preseason

For Dummies

6
Green Bay Packer Preseason

Are you ever watching your favorite team on television and start to question your preconceived knowledge of athletics? Or do you ever get dragged into a sports conversation where all of your guy friends are suddenly asking you where *said football player* went to college and what is *said football player's* position or who won the eleventh Superbowl?

Yeah, me too. I claim I know enough about sports to at least know what is going on while watching them on T.V. Buuut I am here to help you ladies when you are watching your man's friends' favorite team play the Green Bay Packers (FYI they are called the “Green Bay” Packers because they are from Green Bay, WI) this 2015 season.

One question going through every Green Bay Packer fans mind: have the Cheeseheads been cursed?

After a 24-19 preseason loss against the Pittsburgh Steelers, I can truly say I know what heartbreak feels like seeing the team's top wide receiver (the guy who usually catches the ball and scores) Jordy Nelson go down in a season ending injury at the end of August.

As if Nelson's injury wasn't hard enough on all of us Cheeseheads, Randall Cobb suffered a shoulder injury after the August 29 preseason loss to the Philadelphia Eagles (39-26), having America thinking that the Packers would be losing their second pro-bowl receiver. Luckily, Cobb has made it clear that he will be seeing the field for Green Bay’s season opener against the Chicago Bears this Sunday, despite his absence during the Packers final training camp practice. Cobb and Nelson weren’t the only two taking some time off the field. Teammate Bryan Bulga (the right tackle – the guy who keeps defenders away from the person who has the ball) was suffering from an ankle sprain, and Micah Hyde (the cornerback – the guy who defends the guys who are catching the ball) was experiencing neck spasms.

After the packers came out with a 36-10 victory against the New Orleans Saints, it has us Cheeseheads breathing a sigh of relief for hopes of getting back on track to another successful season. Trying not to cause problems with star quarterback Aaron Rodgers, especially after second string Scott Tolzien was out with a concussion, it is looking as if third string may come into play for quarterback snaps.

It is no surprise after the Green Bay Packers top receiver tears his ACL that the Packers would be seeing some changes this season, especially with the 15th ranked defense. Will these changes be hopeful? After hearing linebacker Clay Matthews statement that “whether we like to admit it or not, it has been an offensive team for several years with how they’ve done on offense,” change could be questionable, but it could be an opportunity for the defense to prove their strengths. It also makes people question: does the quarterback make the receiver, or does the receiver make the quarterback? Will Aaron Rodgers still shine without Jordy Nelson or without Randall Cobb up to par, or will the new receivers conform to Rogers ways?