Green Isn't Your Color | The Odyssey Online

Green Isn't Your Color

Why trust should overpower jealousy.

15
Green Isn't Your Color
www.ayobuka.com

"Love may be blind... but jealousy has 20 - 20 vision." - The Fresh Quotes

You have felt it. I have felt it. We all have felt it... The moment when your blood turns cold and your eyes become green. He's out catching a flick with a friend of his that just so happens to be female. She's out grabbing drinks with that co-worker of hers that just happens to be male. And if you're the jealous type, which admittedly, I am, you cannot help but wonder what's going on or where your partner is located.

Jealousy, an unfortunate feeling that causes great discomfort, appears in relationships at one time or another. The little green monster is a master of a wedging a rock of little to no communication between you and your partner. It also causes unneeded stress that neither of you need in your busy lives. So, why does jealousy have such a grip? The biggest ingredient in jealousy is, yes you guessed it, lack of trust. Trust is the most important thing in a relationship and without it, chances are, your relationship won't survive.

Why is trust so important? It shows your partner you have enough self-confidence and faith in them to hold yourself together. You have to believe that your partner will do you no harm. Ask yourself: Would he/she do anything to hurt you? If you answered "Yes" or "I don't know." wrong answer. It's time to leave that relationship. On the latter, if your answer is no, you already have a great foundation for trust.

If you think about it, that "T" word can be hard for many couples to achieve—it's really like a cushion of comfort; a cushion that allows you to sleep at night, knowing that your partner is being faithful. Trust is about the knowing, not the guessing and unknown. Trust is the preventionist for stress and tension caused by jealousy.

Why is self-confidence so important? Your partner is with you because they like who you are and all of your attributes. Chances are, if they didn't, they wouldn't waste their time. So, relax. They're with you; that means you can offer at least one thing that appeals to them. Being comfortable in your own skin makes it much easier to trust your partner. For example, let's say he did catch a flick with that great girl pal who is pretty and from what you know, a nice girl. You're uneasy at first but then remember: you're pretty and also a nice girl. Here's the catch: You have something she doesn't that makes him want to be with you.

Let's say she did grab a drink with that male co-worker that you know to be quite successful after a long and stressful day at work. And, then you remember that you're quite successful as well. However, you're the one providing for her, not him. She chooses you. And hey, if he/she doesn't choose you, that's their own loss. Because you are fabulous.

That quote, yeah, that one at the top. It has a great deal of truth to it, and there's a lot to be said. Love is blind. Sometimes you can't feel it or see it and it comes in different forms. Jealousy, on the other hand, somehow can pinpoint the weakest bone in your body, it's just that accurate. You can feel it running through your veins and even your bones; it even makes your tongue sharper than a knife and your actions regrettable. Learning to control your "crazy" will be the biggest benefit for your relationship.

So, the lesson here is trust. Trust to the best of your ability, regardless of your past experiences. Not every person is the same, and you will not have the same experience with any one person, guaranteed. If you feel that you cannot trust your partner, it's simple. Leave, and do what's best for you. After all, you're all you've got. And when you've found that person to complement you and all of your "whatevers', you're in luck.

The best proof of love is trust.