The Beauty Of The Greek Orthodox Church

The Beauty Of The Greek Orthodox Church

Let's celebrate Him.

56
The Beauty Of The Greek Orthodox Church

As a Greek Orthodox Christian, it is difficult to explain to people who aren't familiar with the Greek Orthodox faith as to how the Eastern Orthodox Church breaks down Holy Week. Holy Week in the Eastern Orthodox Church institutes the sanctity of the whole calendar year of the Church.

Monday of Holy Week commemorates Joseph and the fig tree which was a miracle of special symbolism, since the tree had leaves, but no fruit. It's symbolic of many people who claim ethical and religious identity, but who in reality have empty lives that yield no fruit. On Holy Monday evening, the Hymn of the Bridegroom and the canticle hymn, which is also symbolic, are sung and the procession of the Icon of Christ-Bridegroom take place around the church. The reading is Matthew 21:18-43 on this day.

Tuesday of Holy Week commemorates the parable of the Ten Virgins, Matthew 25:1-13. This parable is developed around the theme of the Bridegroom, and the hymnologist remind us, "I do not possess a torch aflame with virtue, and the foolish virgin I imitate when it is the time for action" and "Into the splendor of thy saints, how can I, who am unholy, enter?" The reading is Matthew 22:15-23 through 23:39 through 26:2 on this day.

On Holy Wednesday, it has been ordained by the Holy Fathers of the Church that commemoration should be made of the anointing of Christ with myrrh by the woman in the house of Simon, the leper, in Bethany. Repentance was the mission of the prophets. The evening of Holy Wednesday is sung the "Hymn of Cassiane," which was most likely the work of Patriarch Photius. The reading is John 12:17-50 on this day.

Great Holy and Wednesday morning is the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts which is celebrated for the last time during lent.

On the night of Holy Wednesday, the sacred ceremony of the Mysterion of the Holy Unction takes place. This is the evening of repentance, confession, and the remission of sins by the Lord, preparing the faithful to receive Holy Communion the next morning on Holy Thursday. Holy Unction is the Mysterion for the cleansing sins and renewing the body and the spirit of the faithful. Holy Unction is one of seven Sacraments of the Church, and it has its origin in the practice of the early Church as recorded in the Epistle of James (5:14-15).The Orthros of Thursday morning is sung by anticipation, on Wednesday evening. In many Orthodox churches, this service is sung at its designated Thursday morning time, before the Vespers and Divine Liturgy. The reading is St. Luke 22:-39 on Wednesday night.

Thursday morning is when Jesus drew His last breath of freedom. Christ knew all the incidents which were about to take place and called to Him His Apostles in order to institute the Holy Eucharist for them and for the Church forever. Following the incidents of the closing moments of Christ's life, after washing of His Apostles' feet, He pointed out the betrayer, inaugurated the Eucharist, and pronounced the new commandment of the love for one another. The Divine Liturgy of St. Basil is officiated on this day, and the reading are: 2 Corinthians 11:23-32; Matthew 26:2-28; John 13:3-17; Matthew 26:21-39; Luke 22:43-44; Matthew 26:40-75; and Matthew 27:1-2. During this liturgy, the priest prepares the "Amnos," Holy Communion, which is kept throughout the whole year to be given the faithful intimes of sickness. The body and blood of Christ is present in the Church during the entire year and throughout the ages.

Holy Thursday evening is the reading of the "Twelve Gospel" readings, and the Gospels are read in this order:

1. St. John 13:31 thru Ch. 18:1
2. St. John 18:1-29
3. St. Matthew 26:57-75
4. St. John 18:28 thru Ch. 19:16
5. St. Matthew 27:3-32
6. St. Mark 15:16-32
7. St. Matthew 27:33-54
8. St. Luke 23:32-49
9. St. John 19:38-42
10. St. Mark 15:43-47
11. St. John 19:38-42
12. St. Matthew 27:62-66

These readings relate the last instructions of Christ to His disciples, the prophecy of the drama of the Cross, the dramatic prayer of Christ, and His new commandment. After the reading of the fifth Gospel comes the procession with the Crucifix around the Church, while the priest chants the 15th antiphon. During the Procession, the faithful Christian kneels and prays for his spiritual welfare, imitating the thief on the Cross who confessed his faith and devotion to Christ. He then approaches the reverently kisses the Crucifix.

Good Friday morning is the "Royal Hours," according to the Hebrew custom. These services consist of hymns, psalms, and readings form the Old and New Testaments, all related prophetically and ethically to the Person of Christ.

On Good Friday afternoon, there is a continuation of the Royal Hours and during this service, the removal of the Body of Christ from the Cross is commemorated with a sense of mourning for the terrible events which took place. The readings are Matthew 27:1-38, Luke 23:29-43, Matthew 27:29-54, John 19:31-37, Matthew 27:55-61. Good Friday is the only day in the year on which the Divine Liturgy is not officiated.

Good Friday evening consists of psalms, hymns, and readings dealing with the death of Christ, in contrast to His divinity, and in expectation of His Resurrection. The entire congregation joins in singing the 3 parts of the "Hymns of Praise." After these hymns are sung, the priest sprinkles the Sepulcher and the whole congregation with fragrant water. There is a simultaneous praise of both the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ with their purpose of the redemption of man. The priest leads the people outside the church, where they carry the Epitaphio which contains the body of Christ. As 6 men carry the Epitaphio around the church, the congregation follows and the priest reads the Gospel at various stops.

Holy Saturday is when the psalms are read and the Resurrection hymns are sung which tell of Christ's descent into Hades. After the reading of the Epistle, the priest follows the custom of tossing of laurel. The readings are from Romans 6:3-11 and Matthew 28:1-20.

On Easter Sunday (Saturday midnight), the life-giving Resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is celebrated. Before midnight, the Odes of Lamentation of the previous day are repeated. The Orthros of the Resurrection begins in complete darkness. The priest takes light from the vigil light and gives it to the faithful, who are holding candles. The priest sings a hymn and the people join him. From this moment, every Christian holds the Easter candle as a symbol of his vivid, deep faith in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ as Savior.The people wait for the priest to start the hymn of the Resurrection: "Christ has Risen from the dead, by death trampling upon Death, and has bestowed life upon those in the tombs." After this moment, the service takes on a joyous Easter atmosphere. The Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom is then officiated. At the end of the Liturgy, a part of the marvelous festival sermon of St. Chrysostom is read. The readings are Acts 1:1-8 and John 1:1-17.

On Easter Sunday afternoon, the faithful gather once more for prayer with lighted candles and everyone sings the hymn, "Christ is Risen from the Dead." The people greet one another, saying: "Christ is Risen," the Easter salutation which is answered, "Truly He is Risen." They sing, "The dark shadows of the Law have passed away by the coming of grace," and standing in exaltation, they exclaim, "Who is so great a God as our God?"

After fasting from dairy meat for 40 days, Easter Sunday is the day where we celebrate Christ Resurrecting from the dead. We celebrate by eating and drinking to Glorify Christ ad His Resurrection.