What Made Barack Obama A Great Public Speaker

Rhetorical Analysis of President Obama's Farewell Address

857
Google

According to Bitzer’s rhetorical situation, Barack Obama’s farewell address has a lot of rhetorical analysis to offer. First, the exigence of the speech is saying farewell to the American people and entrusting the country in the hands of the newly elected President, Donald Trump. The exigence occurs due to the previous presidential election. Formal President Barack Obama, is not only giving a speech to the american people and saying his goodbyes but he is also embedding a sense of safety for the American people because of the controversy over the newly elected President, Donald Trump. Obama relies heavily on logos when conveying his arguments to the public. The address consists of three special logos arguments, the first being the economic state of the country, the second discussing post-racial America, and the third is why the country should not rely on opinions for evidence and why democracy is at risk if we do not put faith and action into the guidelines of our constitution. “Race remains a potent and often divisive force in our society.” The general logos President Obama displays in his speech is drawing upon basic arguments such as, freedom, racism and the most important one being ; democracy is at risk.

As a highly trusted and honorable individual of America, Barack Obama is aware that the nation needs to feel safe in order to accept the newly elected President. The former President uses ethos to instill trust in the American people as he leaves the office. Obama lists his accomplishments while in office, and also goes on the express that he is committed to supporting a smooth transition for Trump. “I committed to President-elect Trump that my administration would ensure the smoothest possible transition, just as President Bush did for me.” Although Obama lists his accomplishments, he does it in a modest way and says “we” did this in order to identify with the American people and make them feel that the last eight years they also must be able to take credit for. “If I had told you eight years ago that America would reverse a great recession…..take out the mastermind of 9/11…...if I had told you that we would win marriage equality, and secure the right to health insurance for another 20 million of our fellow citizens…...if I had told you all that, you might have said our sights were set a little too high. But that’s what we did.” Obama touches upon his already established credit in order to make the point that democracy matters and that with faith in this country we have prospered and will continue to prosper regardless of the commander in chief.

Through the use of pathos, Obama acknowledges that the audience does indeed matter and that the people are not mindless beings who can be persuaded mindlessly. He appeals to their emotions. He appeals to the comical, faithful, honorable and relatable side of Americans. He starts the speech with a joke, calling himself a “lame duck” this statement depicting him not just a stuck up politician, but a human being. He appeals to the grief families have faced losing their sons and daughters at war, grabbing the hearts of Americans. He then thanks his own family, and appreciates those he loves. This not only makes him more trusting and relatable but can be compared to the way Nixon appealed to his inability to give up the dog his family was given in his Checker’s Speech. Pathos is very important in a speech because of the ways that it allows the speaker to really connect with the audience emotionally and therefore establish a common ground.

Although this is touched on in each element of Bitzer’s rhetorical situation, it is very important to point out the way that Obama identifies with the audience (the nation). “WE the people” Throughout the entire speech, Obama addresses the importance of the people and a united nation. Obama uses “we” to symbolize that we are in this together and that the country as a whole is responsible for the success in the past eight years. This makes sense that Obama wants to emphasize the “we” because he also is arguing for a strong democracy and unity. So by repeating this style choice he is also backing up his argument to the people, that democracy is something that cannot be forgotten. Through the use of artistic means of persuasion and his rhetorical style Obama expresses safety as well as the need for democracy in the upcoming years. He leaves the country gracefully and with hope. He is no longer the President of the United States of America but he is one with the people, one amongst Americans in need of hope.

With all of the artistic means of persuasion outlined above, it is crucial to recognize that one cannot persuade an audience without evidence. Opinions need facts, maybe not a lot of them but they are necessary. Obama often refers to the constitution in his speech for example with “But they cannot defeat America unless we betray our Constitution and our principles in the fight. ” Relying on these original principles empowers Americans and allows us to see the success in the ways we have been operating our government for centuries. By discussing the history of America and how far we come Obama helps proves everything he is arguing ; democracy prevails all. “In his own farewell address, George Washington wrote that self-government is the underpinning of our safety, prosperity, and liberty, but “from different causes and from different quarters much pains will be taken…to weaken in your minds the conviction of this truth.” By touching on George Washington, the first president of the United States, he is proving his case that democracy is everlasting. It is important to rely on old legends in order to succeed in the present, Obama does this with inartistic proofs.

Overall the canons of rhetoric that Obama used in order to execute the proper outcome in his farewell speech were genius. They not only appealed to the minds of the audience as a whole but also instilled trust and comfort in the lives of Americans who were fearful of the elected President (I myself included). By using these means of persuasion and also inartistic modes of proof President Barack Obama was able to successfully leave the country feeling a little more at ease with what is to come. The rhetor in this case, Barack Obama is an amazing public speaker. Personally I think this speech was one of his best especially with the uses of persuasion that he entailed. When I first watched this speech on television I was in the same point of view as the audience. I felt the way that I believe the rhetor was trying to make the audience feel. I think this speech in particular is one of the best speeches of all time. The strategic uses of rhetoric that President Barack Obama used in many of his speeches and this one in particular are what makes him known as one of the best public speakers of all time. He has a way of connecting with the audience and he does so in this particular speech using the canons of rhetoric as his tools.

1. Obama, Barack. “President Obama’s Farewell Address, January 10, 2017.” Chicago, Illinois. https://www.whitehouse.gov/farewell.
  2. Bitzer, Lloyd F. “The Rhetorical Situation.” Pennsylvania State University Press.