Twelve Days of Grandmothers | The Odyssey Online

Twelve Days of Grandmothers

Christmas is a time for gifts and cheer, but grandmothers supply us with so much more all year.

28
Twelve Days of Grandmothers
Lauren McDade

Family is the only constant thing in our lives. We cannot choose the people that we are related to, and there have been countless times when I have thanked my lucky stars for being given some of the best relatives. Whatever you call yours: MomMom, Nana, Mimi, Oma, Granny, Gma, Gram, Grandmom, or a more personalized name like ‘Mare Mare’, they're our grandmothers and, possibly, the most special relatives that we have. Here’s to all of the grandmothers in our lives, you are a special gift every day of the year.

On the first day of Christmas my Grandmom gave to me…

One phone call for every accomplishment, random story, or “thinking about you” moment. They have our numbers programmed in their iPhones, with whatever emoji we put next to our names, or on a notecard by their landlines, and are always ready to congratulate us or wish us luck on any and every moment of our lives. And when you're having a bad day, Grandmoms are only a phone call away.

On the second day of Christmas my Grandmom gave to me…

Two, amazing parents. Let’s face it, without our grandmothers, we would not be here. Thank you for raising your children to be the parents that they are today. We know that they learned from the best.

On the third day of Christmas my Grandmom gave to me…

Three glasses of homemade iced tea. Every Grandmom probably doesn’t make iced tea, however I think we can all relate to the feeling of walking into Grandmom’s kitchen and being attacked with a whirlwind of questions, “What can I get you? When was the last time you have eaten? Do you want cookies? How about I make you a sandwich? Do you want chips with that?”. It has gotten to the point where my grandmothers ask me what I want to eat a week before my scheduled visit.

On the fourth day of Christmas my Grandmom gave to me…

Four tips of advice for every hour we spend together. Whether you want to hear it or not, grandmothers always seem to be filled with advice on every topic.Unless the topic is related to technology, then you can expect all of the questions to be coming your way.

On the fifth day of Christmas my Grandmom gave to me…

FIVE GOLDEN...NUGGET CARDS. So casino frequent-flyer cards are not the same as five golden rings, but hey, quality time is worth more than material goods. Whether your grandmom has brought you to the casinos yet or not, I am sure you can picture what that experience would be like with your favorite Golden Girl. Personally, my MomMom was counting down the days until I turned twenty-one so she could take me to the Golden Nuggets Casino in Atlantic City. It seemed like Christmas in July for my MomMom.

On the sixth day of Christmas my Grandmom gave to me…

Six years of Grandparents’ Day visits. Grandparents’ Day may have been the best day of every elementary school year. As perfume permeated the hallways, grandchildren were overjoyed to introduce their grandparents to their friends and teachers, or show off their latest artwork. Every year I had at least one grandparent in attendance, including second grade when I tricked my grandmother into staying with me and not visiting my sister’s classroom. Sorry Court.

On the seventh day of Christmas my Grandmom gave to me…

Seven, family dinners a year. No matter the holiday or occasion, have no fear because Grandmom has been planning for the three-course-meal for two months. Do grandmoms even need a holiday to bring all of their kids and grandkids together for a meal? Absolutely not, and we are always ready to eat their delicious food.

On the eighth day of Christmas my Grandmom gave to me…

Eight dates. Some of my fondest childhood (and recent) memories include days when my grandmothers would spend one-on-one time with just me. Whether we went to the beach, shared a meal, did chores, or walked around the mall, the alone time with a woman who seems like a celebrity in a family filled with: her spouse, siblings, children, other grandchildren, friends, etc, made me feel so privileged. These were the days when we learned the most about each other on a deeper level than just upcoming events and friends at school. There can and will never be enough ‘Grandma and me’ days.

On the ninth day of Christmas my Grandmom gave to me…

Nine cousins. Cousins are the greatest gifts that our grandmother have given us. People always say that cousins are our forever friends, and although there can be age-gaps, it is true. Cousins are the only people who truly understand the mix of crazy and love that runs through your family. They will always be there for the sad times but more importantly, the happy days.

On the tenth day of Christmas my Grandmom gave to me…

Ten laughs per visit. They honestly could have their own comedy hour. I don’t know if I am biased since they are my grandmothers or if they are naturally funny, but we are guaranteed to laugh when we are together. It probably helps that they always have personal stories to share and flashbacks from their own dating experiences. It’s impossible to be sad when you're around your granny.

On the eleventh day of Christmas my Grandmom gave to me…

Eleven years plus one decade of love. There are bonds such as mother-child, father-child, sibling-sibling, and then grandmother-grandchildren. Grandmothers have a way of making you feel happy, safe, comfortable, and loved more than just about anyone else. They are built in babysitters, playmates, guidance counselors, and friends. There is really no one like them.

On the twelfth day of Christmas my Grandmom gave to me…

Twelve reasons and more to be thankful for having them in our lives. The memories will last a lifetime, and hopefully the stories will be passed down through generations. This Christmas, I am thankful for the twenty-one years that I have had with my grandmothers.

Merry Christmas, my greatest gifts.