Go Puff Yourself Tour | The Odyssey Online

Go Puff Yourself Tour

Puffin' to a place near you.

96
Go Puff Yourself Tour

Photos supplied by goPuff

It’s roughly 6:30 p.m. on a Thursday evening, a week before finals at Drexel University, and the goPuff team is busy bustling about their bright blue warehouse, each sporting the company’s signature logo on various attire.

With one glance an onlooker can assume the usual mad dash for ice cream and frozen food as finals roll around; but little could they imagine the brighter flame growing within. Nestled just steps away from Philly’s own Love Park is the beating heart of the goPuff Empire, the place where it all began.

If you’ve been living under a rock for the past two years, allow me to fill you in:

GoPuff is an app-based delivery service and brain child of recent Drexel grads Rafael Ilishayev and Yakir Gola. What originally began as a shisha and smoking accessory concept has quickly evolved into an online convenience store delivered right to your doorstep. Initially operating until 4:20 a.m., customer demand has pushed this robust startup to provide you with everything you need 24/7.

Speaking of those needs, the company’s line of products has grown tremendously since those initial days of shisha and munchies. Today they offer an incredible selection of products ranging from school supplies to pet food. Their most recent acquisitions include organic options (cleverly named Healthies) and, coming in the next few months, beer.

But don’t let the exciting new additions distract you, the goPuff concept is based strictly on convenience, allowing you to focus on studying (or partying) and empowering you to have time for the more important things in life. “But not too much time,” joke Yakir and Rafael, since delivery is a speedy 20-30 minute window.

Although their operations are stringent to ensure your deliveries get to you on time every time, goPuff has the freedom to personalize their marketing strategy and have a good amount of fun with it. One of these strategies is the Go Puff Yourself Tour, currently making its way through Philly, D.C., and Boston. This promotional tour sets up tent on 30 college campuses throughout three cities and aims to educate their target demographic and get everybody puffin’. As they chill on each campus for a few days or hours bringing along their custom pufferfish mascot, Puff, they don’t want anyone leaving empty handed, hence everybody that stops by the tent scores some free goPuff swag. Some of these freebies include shot glasses, sunglasses, tank tops, and lighters. The most recent stop at Temple University brought out over 800 students to the tent at one point, puffers unite!

But these young entrepreneurs with wits beyond their age are only getting started. GoPuff is currently expanding to two new cities simultaneously: New York, NY and Austin, TX. Each warehouse employs full time managers and independent contractor delivery people, creating flexible schedules for students working part-time.

Even though their expansion is going to significantly divert their time and energy out of Philadelphia, don’t think they will ever forget about their home base. Yakir and Rafael were sure to inform me that goPuff will indeed be open and fully functioning during the Pope’s visit in September. Crowds can’t stop these guys, only force them to become creative. GoPuff will be employing hundreds of delivery people on bikes during the World Meeting of Families and delivering goodies to all their loyal puffers in the area.

When asked for their biggest piece of advice for aspiring entrepreneurs, Ilishayev and Gola had equally important tips.

“Get ready to give up your life,” laughed Rafael with humorous honesty. “Yes,” agreed Yakir, “and everyone is going to doubt you, even the people closest to you. Don’t let that affect you from pursuing your goals. Focus, keep your eye on the prize, and don’t let anyone influence your hustle.”

Heard that, all you business majors? Hustling got them puffin’ and even though smoking has become a small part of who they are as a company, they’re busy leaving all their competition in the dust. Puff on!