Way to Go Big 'N'!

Way to Go Big 'N'!

Congratulations to the Northampton Area High School Big 'N' Marching Band on their big wins!

12
Way to Go Big 'N'!
Cavalcade of Bands

Way to go Big ‘N’ on your third first place championship in two years and with the highest winning score in Big ‘N’ Band history! As an alumna of the organization, I could not be more proud of you all. Marching band takes a lot of work, time and commitment. As you are all high school students, many would not think that you take it as seriously as you do, but it’s basically your entire life, what else are you to do?

From the endless hours of practices each week, not to mention the practice time you put in outside of structured rehearsals, to the football games and competitions, by the time you are in your senior year of high school you are feeling like a professional. But in the end, you know there is so much more out there for you to learn. Coming off of a high from this award winning season I don’t know why you would not want to continue to learn more, whether it be throughout the rest of your high school years, in college or beyond.

I started high school marching band in 2010, which I believe was Mr. Sansone’s first full year teaching at Northampton High School on his own. That year, we won second place at championships. My sophomore and junior years, we were not as successful, but then my senior year our luck changed around again. Standing on the field at awards, unexpected by everyone, we won third place in the Class A Cavalcade of Bands Championship in 2013.

It makes me so happy to know that three years later, the organization has done it again but better, with even more accolades than before, which just goes to show how far the organization has come thanks to Mr. Sansone, his staff, talented students and the behind the scenes work of the band parents.

So freshmen: don’t go crazy yet. You have three more years to be a part of this incredible organization, make them count. As you become an upperclassmen help to teach the new students the ins and outs of high school marching band and help those who may be learning a new instrument or technique. By helping others you will be set up for success for your future career in the organization and it will also help you to become a better musician, leader and well-rounded human being. And don’t forget to make friends, because the friends you make here will most likely be the some of the only friends you keep in touch with after high school is over and the ones you will probably have for the rest of your life.

Sophomores: I know you guys are in that weird stage where you’re not the youngest anymore, but you’re not the oldest either, have an idea of what you’re doing, but you have so much more to learn. Don’t worry, you will soon be at the top of the pyramid again (no pun intended), but you should still help to lead, teach and learn more from the staff, your peers and most importantly, yourself.

Juniors: this year is probably the hardest year for you yet, academically. Grades are more important now than they probably ever have been in your life, you are starting to learn more about yourself and what you want to do after high school, where you may want to go to college and who your real friends are. So don’t take your stress out on others around you but rather focus it into your music and marching skills. That way you know you are containing it well and putting it towards something you really care about, who knows, maybe it will help you to become a better musician, leader, team member and help to shape you into an overall better person too.

Seniors: you’re almost finished with high school, but don’t take these experiences for granted. They are some of the best experiences you might have throughout your entire life and are the ones you will look back on every day, I know I do. Teach the underclassmen all there is to be taught, that they have not learned yet from staff and other instructors. Be kind, as the way you act towards them is the way they will act towards those under them. Teach them the way you want to be taught, leave a legacy that you want to be known. But heck, after this season your legacy is there, so don’t you worry too much.

All in all, don’t forget to have fun. Celebrate because you are all talented students and individuals with a gift that only some people get to experience throughout their lives. And don’t forget to thank your staff, band parents, actual parents and all others who have made your incredible season worthwhile, as this is one you will remember forever.

GO BIG 'N'!