Girls Are Not Flowers | The Odyssey Online

Girls Are Not Flowers

We are girls, and we are human, and we are anything but flowers.

93
Girls Are Not Flowers
Nikki Howard

We are girls. We will never be flowers, fragile and breakable. We cannot and refuse to be plucked. I don't understand how any man can look me in the eye and call me a "sweet, innocent flower." We are girls. Despite what the biological theory may say, we are not warm and sensitive creatures.
We are girls. We are not a trophy to be won or a bauble to be bought. We are not gentle, warm, sensitive, sweet, emotional wrecks, a fling, a one night stand, silent, passive, we are not IDEAL. We can be manipulative, strong, opinionated, liars, lazy, unorganized, loud, flatulent, a dream, a nightmare, we can be HUMAN.
We are girls. We are not a notch in the bedpost, a notch in the belt, or whatever else one may mark their notches in. We are not a quota, a goal, a number on a page. Girls are not toys, or trash, or the casual fling that one uses when they are incapable of getting laid over the course of several months. One must not treat a girl as such and be upset when we burn your couch and test the malleability of your Xbox, for we are not gentle and refuse to be underestimated. We have proved we are not the sweet, petite, innocent, everyday flowers we were meant to be.
We are girls. We are far from the vision of PERFECT. We are not a bouquet of impeccable roses and we refuse to stand on the princess pedestal many place us on. We poop, we toot, we sniff test our clothes, we wipe our cheesy fingers on our newly washed pants after too many cheese puffs, we pee in the shower, sometimes we don't comb our hair, sometimes we refuse to move for an entire day and relax with a TV remote or gaming controller glued to our hands, and sometimes? We don't CARE. We are not beautiful, flawless flowers and do not aim to be the fragile beauties we are associated with.
I am a girl. I am not a symphony, a beautiful melody, a SONG. Do not romance me with flirtatious arrays of words. Complimenting me and smooth talking me are two very different things. I am a girl. I am not a sexual, erotic expenditure. Do not throw a sexual reference to me, for I will refuse to catch it and will not take the phrases lightly. I am a girl and I do carry feminine qualities with me. Yes, it is true that I have breasts and other things like such, but that gives no excuse to touch me. One WILL lose a hand if I'm touched and respect if one believes me to be "that kind of girl." Perhaps, I am indeed a nice, sweet girl, but that is not a gateway to my heart nor an excuse to approach and/or touch me. My kindness is simply a personality trait, not a seductive flirting mechanism. I am a girl and I am not a floozy for being neck deep in male friends. Although my sexual activity should be vacant from all creaks and crevices of your mind, I am a girl and must be judged according to this unnecessary information.
Do not buy me flowers, shoes, clothes, decorative bath soaps, beauty supplies, or jewelry. I am a girl not a category in the shopping aisle. Why must a girl get flowers as a constant gift? Indeed they are pretty, but why are they considered a gift for girls? I'd much rather be given fuzzy wuzzy black socks, a new Xbox controller, or new resident evil memorabilia. As a "girl," I guess I am meant to be content with the various flowers on my doorstep. I think I'd prefer bills, at least they won't die and constantly need to be watered. I will buy my own flowers if I am oddly craving a new item of clutter for my already disastrous room.
Never call me "baby, darling, sweetie pie with a cherry on top." I am not a child, a southern dream, and I am not an after dinner dessert. I am a girl. I am not a flower, I am not a symphony, I am not a sexual object, I am not a dessert, I am not a toy, and I am not your one and only. I am not a princess or a queen, so do not treat me as such. I am far from worthy of a pedestal and I refuse to be the most important person in any man's life. I am a girl, not their world. They have a family and they have friends and I will not become the center of their universe because of my gender. Yes, I may mean everything to him and yes, he may love me with all his heart, but never will I have him place my own happiness before his. I am a girl and I will understand if I am not his entire life. I want him to pursue his own dreams and hobbies before pursuing me, for I am a girl, not his ball and chain.
I am a girl. I refuse to be nothing and I will never be everything, but I will forever be a PERSON.

We are GIRLS, and we are HUMAN, and we are anything but FLOWERS.