11 Reasons You Are Actually in a Relationship With Your Roommates

58

These days it seems like everyone has a horror story about at least one year of roommates. Some are gross, some are psycho, some are criminals, and some you just don't get along with. But if you are lucky, you get to develop a different kind of relationship with your roommates -- one that is dangerously close to being obsessive.

Some people have described it as being in a relationship with their roommates. Here is how to tell if you are.

You are close. Like, really close. Like, way too close. You know more things about each other than you probably care to, but that doesn't make any of you share any less.

The inside jokes are too numerous to count. Sometimes, you say them in public and forget just how weird ya'll are until you get the weird stares from strangers letting you know that ya'll's relationship is anything but normal.

You have your own language. One of my roommates stands in the living room and meows and we all come out of our rooms because we know that means she wants people to hang out with. Words have different meanings with your roommates and sometimes you can communicate by just a look.

You spend more time with them than your actual boyfriend. Or anyone, really. This is not including time spent sleeping. You are always together eating, hanging out, or studying together. In fact, at at least one time they've convinced you to ditch your other plans and hang out with them, instead.

You can tell which one is coming home by their footsteps or how they turn the key in the door.

When one of you starts a Netflix binge, you all start a Netflix binge. Shout out to Grey's, The early seasons of American Horror Story and United States of Tara. It is, basically, an insult if they watch an episode without you.

You experience separation anxiety whenever someone goes home for the weekend. This results in you singing them “All by myself" (from the Wendy's commercials) via Snapchat, or waiting by the door until they come home.

You sound like an old couple yelling at each other to wash the dishes or take out the trash. Or use passive aggressive text messages. Or sticky notes. “WHOSE DANG CUP IS IN THE SINK?"

You make sure you are home in time to watch your shows together -- like the Bachelor or American Horror Story. It doesn't matter what you are doing, you must be home at 8 p.m. on Mondays and 9 p.m. on Thursdays.

You have wanted to go to bed, but ended up talking for the next two hours and then really wanted to go to bed, but still talked for one more hour. Sometimes, you stay up for hours making up dances or doing handstands in the living room before you realize your shower has been running for the last 30 minutes and you need to go.

You have a spot. Maybe you always go to Sonic, or frozen yogurt, or the Botanical Gardens, or Zaxbys, or Waffle House, or Dingus. There is always a place you visit multiple times a week with your roommates.

So, I'd just like to leave ya'll with this quote. "We may not have it all together, but together we have it all." Shout out to Lauren, Laci, and Karina for making my junior year one I will never forget.