Why Gay Pride Still Matters

Why Gay Pride Still Matters

Happy Pride Month!

14
Why Gay Pride Still Matters
LGBTQ nation

For those who don't know, June is LGBT Pride Month, a yearly explosion of tweets, messages, pictures, etc. featuring all of the pride festivities. All over the world queer people and allies gather to celebrate. It's a happy occasion, usually filled with parties, parades, music and camaraderie. Some argue, however, that pride is not needed anymore.

There have been several arguments placed on the table on why we don't really need to have a pride month, or pride celebrations. One argument is that since we have marriage now, what else is there to fight for? One look at most publications or any news channel can tell you that. Queer people are still being discriminated against, and violence against LGBT folks is ever-present, from young kids facing bullying in our schools, to the increasing number of trans folks being killed. Our transgender brothers and sisters continue to face severe discrimination and can not even go to the bathroom of the gender they identity with without a crazy woman marching through the aisles of Target. In many states people can be fired for their sexual orientation or gender identity. Having sex with someone of the same sex is still illegal in 75 countries. It is punishable by death in 10. There is anti-LGBT legislation floating around Congress, trying to take away rights from people based on sexual orientation and gender identity. I could keep going, but yes, there is plenty more to fight for.

Another argument for why we don't need pride anymore is that pride has become a party-centered corporation with no real substance. I don't really disagree with this claim, and pride celebrations have certainly changed over the years. However, if corporations and public services want to celebrate and show their support for inclusivity and acceptance, I am all for it. If organizations, corporations etc. want to supply the funds for a pricey pride event, while celebrating diverse people who work for them, I'm down. If you're not really into the corporations and large organizations sponsored events, be the change. Work with local people and organizations and create pride celebrations and events that are more catered to your needs. There is not just one way to celebrate pride. Pride exists to be a celebration and also a platform. Millions of dollars are raised by different organizations and charities every pride season which go to benefit everything from research to basic needs for everyone. Pride is more than meets the eye and can continue to evolve. If you don't like what you see, create something new.

Pride can be more than a party, more than a parade, more than just bouncing through the streets to pop divas who are performing. Pride can be an educational experience. Human rights organizations, concerned citizens, government agencies and more have booths, providing information about safe sex practices, what's going on legislatively, different communities that exist, underwear trends, you get the picture. Exploring for a bit can at least give you a nice discussion point for when you're partying with friends. Pride events can also save lives, especially if it is your first time and you have never been in a community that accepts you. It can be life-changing.

Pride has changed over the years. It means different things to different people, but it is a place where we can come together and celebrate one another, learn from one another and move forward in the push for equality.

Happy Pride Month Everyone!