How I Have Come To Love Being The Third Wheel

A glimpse into the life of a single person surrounded by a sea of couples and how that has become significantly less depressing than it seems.

183
hellogiggles.com

Couples. Couples. More couples. In college, I have discovered that it is hard to escape from the constant reminder of how single you really are and how cute everybody else is with their significant other.

Throughout my college experience, I have had the opportunity of being the third wheel with many of my couple friends. A third wheel is an individual who hangs out with a couple and is kind of the "odd man out." Honestly, it sounds kind of depressing and not somewhere where most individuals would choose to be, but the past year has opened up my eyes to the immense pleasure it is to hang out with two individuals in a relationship. At this point most of you are probably thinking that this is craziness, but let me try and explain.

Third wheeling means that the pressure is off. You can be as weird or as awkward as you want. Make the lame jokes. Break out your weirdest dance moves. Learn the value of being yourself and having people love you no matter what.

Third wheeling means that you get to have a college "mom and dad." They take you to dinner. They ask you how your test went. They help you when you are having a crisis. You come to them as a unit, and they help you deal with life.

Third wheeling means having two best friends instead of just one (they are a package deal). One of the greatest pleasures I have had is getting to know my best friends' boyfriends. The good ones will take time to know their girl's friends. They easily become one of the people you give a nickname too and feel like they are family when you see them across campus.

Third wheeling means getting the opportunity to learn from relationship without actually being in one. Sometimes the greatest lessons come from being an observer instead of a participant. I have had the privilege of seeing what it means to love your person well. I have seen what it means to love even when the other person gets on your nerves sometimes. I have seen what it means to manage your time wisely (and even unwisely).

Third wheeling means getting to go on "cute dates" without having to deal with all the nervousness. Shopping. Movies. Sitting on a bench on a warm spring day. The fair. Restaurants (many restaurants).

For me, third wheeling is not as bad as it seems. Don't get me wrong. Sometimes it can be awkward. The times when you are sitting with your arms crossed on the other side of the bench while your couple friends snuggle up next to each other on the other side. The times where you watch a movie and you get to sit by yourself in the recliner and they hold hands on the couch. The times where they are all cute and flirty, and you kind of stand there awkwardly and pretend to look off in the distance. It IS awkward, but I have come to love it. Of course, one day I hope to be in a relationship that includes many cute dates, lots of laughter, and a striving to love one another well, but for now, I'm loving where I am. I'm loving the time to learn, to grow, to observe, to laugh and to gain some pretty awesome friends.

P.S. If you feel like you have mastered third wheeling, try fifth wheeling. A step only the pros can handle.