Five Fun Things to Do In Summer | The Odyssey Online

5 Fun Things to Do This Summer

Bored out of your mind? Unsure what to do to fill up the endless days without classes? Don't look any further. I've listed five fun things here to do when you're bored and ready to go home.

83
5 Fun Things to Do This Summer

It's time for summer! It's warmed up, you're finally back home from college, you're back on the good home cooking instead of that awful slop called dining food, and...you're bored out of your mind. Without classes and homework and studying, what do you even DO all day? It's almost enough to make you wish that you're back in school - but not quite. Here are some ideas to fill those oh-so-boring days, and to help make your summer - and your imminent return back to Grounds - easier.

1. Catch up on TV shows

This is the best time to catch up on TV shows. As much as your suitemates will convince you otherwise, considering their school-year TV watching habits, summer is great because you can just sit down and watch, without worrying about that assignment due in three days. May I suggest Lucifer (pictured)? The new season just dropped on Netflix, and when I say it's HOT - I mean it. It's darker, funnier, and more refreshing than any other season yet. Also, catch up on Game of Thrones. Whether on Season 1 or on Season 8, there's always room for more people to be disappointed in the ending.

2. Listen to new music

This is also a great time to bop to new music - you can skip and frolic through the warm fields while listening to some new beats! Lots of albums drop during the summer, and it's a great time to sit back and enjoy a new song without having to do homework at the same time. May I recommend Luke Comb's brand new hit single, 'Beer Never Broke My Heart'? I'm also fully expecting a new Luke Combs album this summer, so be prepared for more Luke awesomeness!

3. Read a new book

This is also an amazing time to find a nice shady spot under a tree and read a book. Whether a classic, a novel, a comic, a romance, or a mystery, I find that our generation has become severely out of touch with the joys and heartaches of reading a solid, bound book. I recommend Pride and Prejudice for anyone who hasn't yet read it (or a well-deserved reread for those who have already had the privilege). It's a heartwarming, thoughtful romance with comedy and tragedy abound, and you'll fall in love with the characters. It's lighthearted for the summer season and I haven't yet met a person who dislikes this timeless tale.

4. Get outside and enjoy the weather

Do you remember how bad the weather was, like, two months ago? I do! And quite frankly, I'm glad to be out of freezing rain and below freezing temperatures. I know for sure that I will be riding my bike and hiking around my neighborhood, and maybe even hitting up Busch Gardens with a few friends. Whatever it is you do, make sure you enjoy this amazing weather and get out there with your friends!

5. Learn something new

This is a great time to learn something new! Perhaps you've already wanted to learn cooking, or oboe, or drawing, or singing. Whatever it is, you can take those hours you were using to study and instead put them towards something new to improve yourself. As for me, I'm going to be picking up a guitar and learning to sing like my country music idols.

I hope all y'all have an amazing trip home, or if you're staying at school, an amazing summer there. Whether at home or at school, I hope that this list has inspired you to use your time to its maximum capacity and that you will pursue what you want. Happy Summer!