To The Freshman Who Gets My Dorm Room

To The Freshman Who Gets My Dorm Room

Please fill it with pictures, memories and no regrets.

22
To The Freshman Who Gets My Dorm Room

Dear Freshman,

Congrats on making one of the best choices of your life!!! You're going to love it here. I just have a few tips for you before you plunge head first into the year.

First of all, get excited! This is going to be an amazing year filled with new memories and a ton of firsts, which can be intimating to think about but you will be fine, I promise. I know the thought of meeting new people and taking classes at a more intense level than you're used to will cause you to be nervous but it's really not that bad. Everyone is in the same boat as you. Try to remember that.

Secondly, living in a dorm is going to be different from what you're used to. Make sure you have shower shoes, you do not want your bare feet touching the floor. Make sure you put your room key on a hair tie and keep it around your wrist, it'll help you not lose it so easily. Try not to lose your ID card and do your laundry more often than once a month.

Third, get involved! Go to the involvement fair and sign up for everything and anything that interests you. You don't have to commit to anything that day but even just putting your name on the list is good. Don't be scared to join a club because of the fact that you might not make it or because you don't know anyone in it. You don't know what you'll be missing out on if you don't join. I've met some of my favorite people through clubs/committees that I was hesitant to join in the beginning.

Fourth, go to your advisor. They know what they're talking about and can be helpful if you're struggling with classes, your major, or just the adjustment to college life. And, on that note, go to office hours. Not only will it help you understand the material better, but professors like it when you put in the extra effort and sometimes they may even bump up your grade if you need it.

Fifth, you've going to be tired, just accept that now. You are gonna have more homework than you've ever had before and you're going to stay up way later than you usually do now. With that being said, don't let your sleep deprivation hold you back. Chug some coffee and go out and have fun. Attend all the football games, trust me, nothing compares to being in the student section on game day. Hang out with your friends every chance you can, stay up late having pointless conversations, and go out every weekend. You can sleep when you're older.

Finally, don't be afraid to change. College is a time for growing up, taking on new responsibilities, and becoming the person you're meant to be/want to be. Don't worry about allowing yourself to not be the same person you were in high school. I'm not saying you need to go and completely reinvent yourself but just know that a little change isn't necessarily a bad thing.

And please take care of my dorm room. Fill it with pictures, memories and no regrets. Try not to spill too much stuff in the room or get too spooked out by the ghost (yes there's a ghost but it's fine). Please treat it well, I know I did.

This year is going to fly by, so take everything in and enjoy it to the fullest extent.