5 Things I Learned in High School | The Odyssey Online

5 Things I Learned in High School

Valuable lessons I learned through my four year journey.

223
5 Things I Learned in High School
Michaela Ramandanes

We all have to face high school and the growing pains it brings at some point! Here're five things I took from my experience.

1. Your friendship count will drop drastically, BUT you’ll learn what true friendship is.

My freshman year was emotionally challenging in regards to my social life. I came to high school thinking I would be friends with the same exact people from middle school. I was wrong, partly due to my high school being very large and the fact that most of the people I tried to stay friends with were not my kind of people. While at the time this was heartbreaking for me, I realize now that it was a necessary pain to help me adapt and learn more about myself. I learned quickly who was truly a friend, and who just wanted a ride home every day. Ultimately I have found value in friendships and the joys they bring, but I know when a relationship is toxic and I have to step back.

2. Your teachers will be some of the greatest people you’ll ever meet.

Sure, sometimes you get that one teacher who you just can't seem to get along with, but you’ll have so many other amazing teachers. These teachers are extremely hardworking and sacrifice a lot to give their students the best education they can get. Through my high school journey and now that I have graduated, I found that my teachers are my greatest support system. I loved being able to walk into their classroom every day and share my joy of learning with them. Sometimes you’ll find that your teacher knows you better than yourself.

3. It’s OK to fail.

No, I don’t mean it’s OK to fail a class. What I do mean is that high school is where we are supposed to make mistakes many, many times. This way we can learn from them before college. How you react to those mistakes is what is important. We can only choose to make the best of any situation, and when you do, you’ll discover things about yourself that you didn’t know before. “Believe you can and you’re halfway there”-Theodore Roosevelt.

4. Get involved

I cannot stress enough how important it is to join extracurricular activities. Not just because it looks good on a college application, but because it allows you to expand your horizons. I met a lot of great people and made wonderful memories through extracurriculars. When you feel low, sometimes these clubs and groups are what you need to be inspired again. Most of all, I loved the sense of belonging I felt through my participation.

5. A regular sleep schedule and a healthy diet are ESSENTIAL.

Sadly I didn’t figure this out until after four long years of sleep deprivation and horrible migraines, but when the health textbooks say teens need eight hours of sleep, they mean it. It is really hard to function without a consistent sleep pattern and tons of toxins from unhealthy food running through your system. The result of continuous lack of sleep and bad eating can lead to a lot of mental issues like tension, anger, sadness, etc. It’s easy to grab to Chick-Fil-A after school but try to remember that it will just make you feel horrible in the long run.

So there you have it. Five valuable lessons I learned in high school. I look back at the past four years and realize I have come a long way, but I have not reached my peak yet. There’s so much more about me and the world that I have yet to explore. To the new incoming class, I fare thee well. It’s one heck of a ride.