5 Books To Read In Your Twenties | The Odyssey Online

5 Books To Read In Your Twenties

These confusing years call for fabulous literature!

13
5 Books To Read In Your Twenties

So, you've made it to your twenties. Congrats! Now here comes the hard part: dealing with college, or jobs, or relationships or all three at the same time. What better way to cope than to get distracted by other people's lives? Here are a few great books to make you laugh, and think and appreciate the confusing life you're living right now.

1. Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close. This book tells the story of three women dealing with heartbreak, career change, family pressure and new love, all while suffering through an endless round of weddings and bridal showers. Jennifer Close uses her wit and humor to guide you through the confusing early adult years, when everyone seems to have a job or a plan or a marriage on the horizon, but you're still wondering what you want to be when you grow up.

2. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Esther Greenwood is smart, beautiful, talented and successful, but she is stadily going crazy. In this classic novel, Sylvia Plath pulls you in and reveals the darkest places a person can go. I would recommend this read to those in their twenties to remember to keep their sanity through it all.

3. What She Saw by Lucinda Rosenfeld. Breaking up is something that is very difficult, but when you are breaking up and growing up at the same time it's even harder! This book is all about what she saw. It's a light-hearted, amazing book that everyone should read in their twenties!

4. Main Street by Sinclair Lewis. This is absolutely one of the classics to read while in your twenties! It's all about a big-city girl that marries a doctor and settles in the Midwest. She falls into being narrow-minded and unimaginative and she tries to get out of the rut.

5. How to Lose Friends and Alienate People by Toby Young. This is a book that everyone in the world should read. Not only is it extremely funny, but it's such a true book! The off-color jokes and the extreme wit is enough to make you want to read this book in one sitting!

Twenties can be awkward and hard, but take it from Plath when she said, "I want to taste and glory in each day, and never be afraid to experience pain." You don't have to have eveything planned out right this second! At the same time, though, don't be afraid to dream big. Let these books and others like them encourage you to live fully!