Five Books That Changed The Way I Look At The World | The Odyssey Online

Five Books That Changed The Way I Look At The World

"Books are a uniquely portable magic." -Stephen King

8
Paradigm

Like any lifelong reader, I have encountered many wonderful books. Whether they were funny, touching, or simply entertaining, I have deeply loved quite a few good books. There are, however, a few books that rise above the category of good and could be labelled as life changing. As a writer and a reader, I believe infinitely in the power of words. Here are a few fantastic and inspiring books that will leave you thinking longer after you close the cover!

1. "A Time to Kill" by John Grisham

"A Time to Kill" is an emotionally charged crime novel. Much like its inspiration, Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird," it deals with issues of racial discrimination and American law. The most profound lesson it teaches, though, is on the concept of right and wrong. This book really made me question the unspoken rules of morality in our society and warped my sense of true justice. The two prominent questions in this novel will leave you pondering; Does anyone deserve to die, and does anyone deserve to kill?

2. "The Long Walk" by Stephen King

"The Long Walk" details a dystopian future in which teenagers are allowed to participate in a contest that's ultimate prize is anything the winner desires. The contestants must simply walk continuously, and the last one to stop wins. The catch? Any resting or falling below a certain speed guarantees the walker an imminent death. This book has a very powerful twist ending, and a lot of meaning within its concept. It definitely chilled me and made me wonder why we do the things we do day after day.

3. "Just Mercy" by Bryan Stevenson

This book was actually required reading for my sociology class last semester, and I'm so glad that the professor chose it for the course! This book details several cases of death row inmates told by a nonprofit lawyer, Bryan Stevenson. Stevenson is nothing short of a hero. This book showed me that there is often good where you least expect it, and it inspired me to seek out a career helping the disenfranchised. Stevenson's words and actions show that everyone is deserving of love, empathy, and mercy. (Bonus: Watch Bryan Stevenson's TEDTalk for even more inspiration!)

4. The "Harry Potter" Series by J.K. Rowling

This magical series was a major part of countless childhoods, but it has a lot of deeper lessons that we should carry into adulthood! The characters in Harry Potter are extremely complex and three dimensional. They show us that love will always conquer over evil, and that courage is often found in the most unlikely of places. If you read into the text, it even touches on deeper topics of racism and discrimination. It's certainly a wonderful series to grow up on, but it's never too late to discover the power of Harry Potter!

5. "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens

I have to thank my high school English teacher for introducing me to this one! Older novels often get a bad reputation for being difficult and boring, but this one certainly defies those stereotypes. I've read countless books, and I still say that this one has my favorite plot twist EVER. On a deeper level, this classic questions what it means to live a successful and meaningful life. If you're a fan of tragic romance and lots of thinking, give this one a read!