5 Of The Best Things About Penn Yan | The Odyssey Online

5 Of The Best Things About Penn Yan

Some of the best things about this tiny town.

537
5 Of The Best Things About Penn Yan
Panoramio

Penn Yan is a tiny town in upstate New York. Not many people have heard of this small town unless you mention something about lacrosse. Lacrosse is huge in Penn Yan, but that's not the only thing Penn Yan is known for. Penn Yan is at the tip of Keuka Lake and is home to some of the best wineries, sceneries, and food around. If you ever wind up here and don't know what there is to do, here's some of the top five things to do and see in small town Penn Yan, New York.

1. Wine Trails

Keuka Lake is home to over fifteen wineries. I mean, what better way is there to spend your day sipping wine with loved ones with a beautiful view of the lake? While wine tasting you might end up buing a bottle.. or two, but hey, you deserve it. Wineries are a perfect place to go and relax and the wineries on Keuka Lake often have beautiful, unbeatable views.

2. The Outlet Trail

The outlet trail is a peaceful scenic trail that runs along the Keuka Outlet Stream and stretches over seven miles long. The Outlet Trial runs through two towns, Dresden and Penn Yan. The Outlet Trail was once a railroad that travelled between Seneca and Keuka Lake. There are still bits and pieces of history located throughout the trail including buildings, tracks, canal locks, and more. The outlet trail is perfect for an easy hike, bike ride, or a perfect place to fish. The Outlet Trail also has a beautiful large waterfall that makes the trip to the trail well worth visiting.

3. The Windmill

The Windmill is a small Farm and Craft Market and a popular tourist attraction. The Windmill has roughly 100 different vendors ranging from all sorts of different items. The Windmill has handmade jewelry and craft items that are unique and one of a kind. The Windmill also sells farm fresh fruits and vegetables which taste amazing and definitely beats anything you can buy from the store. You can't visit the Windmill and not want to try all the different foods that the vendors offer. From "Grammas Butterflyed Potatoes" drenched in cheese, sour cream, barbecue sauce, or ranch to Auntie Annes delicious soft baked pretzels, it's hard to visit the Windmill and not eat your own body weight in all the delicious food.

4. The Lake

The lake itself is definitely a popular tourist attraction. Keuka Lake has some of the friendliest residents and they will always give you a smile and a wave as you pass by. The lake has so much opportunity and you will never find yourself bored. The lake is a perfect place to boat, swim, tube, kayak, paddle board, or fish. The possibilities are endless. You don't even have to go on the lake to have a good time. Laying by the lake, reading a book, and relaxing is one of the best ways to spend your day. The lake also has beautiful, unbeatable sunsets.

5. Seneca Farms

Seneca Farms is a local favorite, home to some of the best fried chicken. Did you know that it was nationally ranked? KFC has nothing on the food here. It doesn't just end with the delicious food, they also have homemade ice cream and custards. The lines in the summer may be out to the road and along the sidewalk but the wait will be well worth it. Trust me.