My First Time Voting | The Odyssey Online

My First Time Voting

voting means more than circling a name on a ballot

10
My First Time Voting
msecnd.net

After watching all the live presidential debates, learning about each candidate and seeing them each represented in the media, it was finally the day where I would pick which candidate I felt was the best choice for our nation. I was able to vote for the first time, in a presidential election, yesterday! I am 18, so that technically means I am an adult. I am trusted, along with the millions in my age group, to help aide a decision that could alter the course of our country's history. I was excited to be able to finally participate and let my voice be heard. I went to the polls at my school at around 11am. I am at a school that is out of my home state. However, instead of applying for an absentee ballot, I registered to vote in my new state. I did this mainly because for my first time voting in a real election, I wanted the full experience. When I got to my voting location, there were plenty of signs for different political parties and some people handing out flyers about those they were representing. I was told the line to vote would be long, so I allotted a good portion of time to sit and wait if I had to, but I walked right in. Once inside, when I was seated with my ballot in front of me, I began to think back to when I used to see my mother and father vote. I was now in their shoes, and was able to make a decision that could change our country for the next four years. I marked my choice of candidate, and slid my vote into the ballot machine. I was then handed a circular sticker that boasted the phrase “I Voted”.

The whole process didn’t take more than 15 minutes, but I walked out feeling older somehow. With the sticker proudly displayed on my sweatshirt, I sent out photos to family and friends that I had just completed my first true act of being an adult in the United States. I can’t say that I was too excited by the final candidates, however voting is our civic duty and it’s important to let your voice be heard. I remember the days, when voting for me was about the student government. Voting is much more than circling a name on a ballot, it’s a way to have a say in the way our country runs. It is also a way start to feel like your voice has purpose, and to be able to promote change for what you perceive as important. So, yesterday when you made your selection, i hope that you took a moment and paused to think about how lucky you are to be able to exercise this right.

even though, the outcome of this election may not be what you have wanted, it's important that we all stay together during these times. We are a united country and it's important that the results of this election don't make us grow distant from each other.