Picky Eaters & Why They Should Expand Their Palates | The Odyssey Online
Health Wellness

Just Eat Your Dang Brussel Sprouts (A.K.A. Picky Eaters, I’m Losing My Patience)

If I see one more person give me an incredulous look when I order Eel Sushi, I'm gonna lose it.

138
Em Côté

It's completely understandable to hate brussel sprouts. We totally understand: they're basically super bitter, tasteless tiny heads of lettuce that are somehow less satisfying to eat than an actual tiny head of lettuce would be. Their entire existence is somehow entirely pointless, yet they're so "high in nutrients" that many parents force them onto our plates at a young age so we can grow up "big and strong" (well joke's on them, because most of us grew up in the below average fitness ranking for our age pool).

Now that we've grown up though….nothing has really changed one iota (aside from the fact that we now know how to cook them properly [halved along the core, shelled, tossed lightly with olive oil, salt, & pepper, and baked on a cooking sheet at 350 until lightly crisped]). We're all busy downing kale like we actually enjoy it -- even though it's clearly just a worse brussel sprout -- all because it's "trendy." I am waiting for the day that chocolate-covered ants becomes trendy, because THEN I'll finally be one of the cool kids…

In all seriousness, eating foods that scare us either because of scarring previous experiences or based on the fact that they're just plain old "weird" is what is holding you, yes YOU, back from living your life to the fullest.

Over the years, we've all had our fair share of barriers to overcome regarding food, be it the taste, texture, smell, general concept -- we've all been there. The only problem is that some people haven't been able to pole vault over that not-so-massive wall, remaining stuck in what can be compared to a food purgatory. Without experimenting with different foods and new and exciting flavors, you're missing out on a quintessential part of the human existence: GOOD FOOD. There are an infinite number of combinations in existence, all waiting to be tested and made into a meal that could potentially blow your mind (or make you blow your guts into a bowl).

Regardless of the outcome, having the experience in the first place is always way better than not trying at all. I know you're probably thinking "no way; I know I hate tomatoes, I've always hated tomatoes, and the only time where a tomato will touch my lips will be over my cold, dead body, and even then, I will rise from the grave and smite those who would dare defile my ever-living vessel." And, I mean, that's a valid stance to take, however, your hate of a poor little piece of produce having a fruit / vegetable identity crisis might be completely unwarranted.

Tomatoes are actually one of the most incredibly delicious foods in the world due to their high levels of glutamic acid, an umami component otherwise known as the fifth sense of taste. "It's that other thing, the thing you didn't even know needed a concept or a name until someone pointed it out," says Hannah Goldfield of The New Yorker. "That deep, dark, meaty intensity that distinguishes seared beef, soy sauce, ripe tomato, Parmesan cheese, anchovies, and mushrooms, among other things. It hits the back of your throat and leaves you craving more."

...Do you see what you might be missing here? By not eating those strange foods that people seem to love to hate, you could be skipping out on the best taste you've ever experienced in your life; a new dish that could make you see stars and make your legs shake. I don't want to say that you're missing out on something that might be close to orgasmic…but that's exactly what I'm saying. THIS what you should be looking for in food: something that takes you somewhere else, be it India, the street stall of Taiwan, a crepe stand in Paris, an Irish pub, or even back home to your mother's table. Whatever it is, however strange or weird, eat the food, because not trying that dish could mean that you're skipping out on the meaning of life: really living it.