A Few Things All New Hampshire Natives Would Tell You | The Odyssey Online

A Few Things All New Hampshire Natives Would Tell You

Some guidelines to help you understand your NH native friends.

130
New Hampshire Festivals

Hello from New Hampshire! No, not Vermont, not Maine, and definitely not Massachusetts. If it happens that you are lucky enough to be friends with someone from New Hampshire, here is a guide for you to learn why they are the way they are.

Some things to know about your New Hampshirite friends:

We still miss the old man of the mountain and we will never stop.

The Old Man of the Mountain was a naturally formed outcropping of cliffs that formed the face that resided on the Cannon Mountains. In 2003, the Old Man tragically fell off, breaking our hearts forever. However, that doesn’t stop us from coveting OMOTM swag.

We take our state motto seriously.

Revolutionary War hero John Stark of New Hampshire penned the quote, “Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils.” New Hampshire also happens to be the only state where it is not mandatory to wear seat belts, and one of a few states where motorcycle helmets aren’t mandatory either (but I still recommend both).

We may not have a Hollywood, but we have our fair share of stars.

New Hampshire is home to the Holy Trinity of Comedy: Adam Sandler, Seth Meyers and Sarah Silverman. NH is also home to actors Mike O’Malley, Wilson Bethel, Matt Czuchry, and Mandy Moore. We are very proud of this and don’t be surprised if someone tells you that they’ve seen Adam Sandler at Hampton Beach before.

Fluffernutters are for real.

A Fluffernutter is and peanut butter and Fluff sandwich, and you can’t go wrong with it. The sweetness of the marshmallow combined with the saltiness of the creamy peanut butter is the best combination, and if you don’t have bread you can make a Fluffernutter with just about anything.

Only we can call it ManchVegas.

Manchester is the closest city we have before Boston. With only a few night clubs and bars, it doesn’t look like much, but it’s everything to us. Make sure to go see a roller derby match hosted by the ManchVegas Roller Girls.

We don’t have sales tax, so don’t blame us if we don’t want to go shopping in your states.

We also don’t have income tax or liquor tax. Sorry, not Sorry.

Because of no liquor taxes, many people cross the border to make a packie run. (A packie run is when you run out to the liquor store.) The name comes from the Prohibition Era when people preferred to say they were going out for a package, and not booze.

Say it with me: “Winnipesaukee.”

Yes, we have a lot of places and things with funny names. Like, Contoocook, Kancamagus, and Pemigewasset. Also, Weare is the cause of a lot of conversational confusion.

“Where do you live?”

“Weare!”

“Yeah, exactly, where are you from?”

“Oh boy…"

The Kangamagus Highway is the best place to take a drive on a lazy afternoon in autumn.

At least in fall, the Kancamagus Highway is 34 miles of gorgeous scenery that draws the attention of leaf-peepers from all over New England. Yes, leaf-peeping is exactly what it sounds like taking a drive to go look at all the pretty foliage. It’s real, and it will never stop.

Mount Washington has the highest recorded wind speeds on earth.

At a speed of 231 mph, you might want to grab a few dozen windbreakers, and some flannels (a wardrobe must-have). This Car Climbed Mt. Washington: It’s not just a bumper sticker; it’s a badge of honor. And with the wind blowing that fast, it’s well deserved.

Come July, the night sky will be lit with fireworks.

Because they are super cheap and there are no firework laws. Combine all that with cheap booze and the nation’s oldest lottery, and you’ve got yourself a pretty amazing barbecue.

Why did the moose cross the road?

Driving tip: Break for moose. You’ll save its life, but more importantly, you’ll save your own. You might think that hitting a deer is pretty bad, but when you have a 1,500 hundred pound moose falling through your windshield and on top of your lap after knocking out its legs? You’ll be wishing you had let it take its time in crossing the road.

There you have it! Just a few guidelines on how to act like a fellow New Hampshirite. If you ever find yourself in the 603, you'll know just enough to understand what people are talking about.

Maybe.