My Worst 'Pretty Woman' Shopping Experience on Rodeo Drive

DIOR job and stop following me

922
YAHOO

If you are an FIDM fashion design student, shopping reports are no stranger to you. If you've never heard of a shopping report, it's basically an assignment where you go to a store of your choice, and you examine the clothing, layout, customer service and the stores general aesthetic. To do the shopping report, teachers usually encourage the students to not disclose that they are an FIDM student "here for a school project" while in the store. What you are encouraged to do, is go to the store and make it seem like you are a regular customer there. They say this so we can get the real and raw experience of anyone else going into the store, rather than being dismissed as a student - so that may involve dressing and acting a certain way to get the best customer service. So that's exactly what I did! My choice for this recent shopping report was to inspect Dior on Rodeo Drive, and let's just say my experience was less than complementary.

Remember that scene in Pretty Woman, when Julia Roberts walks into that store, and the sales associates completely treat her like trash? Well, I was Julia Roberts. But let's start from the beginning. Last Friday, I took the day to go out and get this report over with. I knew in choosing Dior, it would mean I would have to dress really nice, and customer service could be a hit or miss with the people that work there. But, you know, I was willing to give it my best shot. So I wore a pleather midi skirt, a sweater and booties, and full hair and makeup - which is SUPER unnecessary to just go shopping in my opinion but hey, you gotta do what ya gotta do. This was also my first time on Rodeo Drive in the three years I lived in LA, so I was super excited to check things out. Finally, I found Dior and it was beautiful. I've always appreciated Dior's feminine fueled line that is emphasized by its Parisian roots. The style embodies stylish women, whilst offering haute couture and ready to wear clothing. I knew it was exactly what I needed for inspiration.

So I got my wits together, call my friend and walk into the store. I felt it would be a little easier doing this thing if I was on the phone with my closest friend so I didn't feel so much pressure. It's intimidating going into a store like that! I was greeted with hellos at the door, and I continued to walk around and look at all the merchandise. But as I went from to room to room, I felt someone following me and eyes constantly on me. I told my friend I better get off and I'll talk to her tomorrow. I turned around and it was one of the sales associates just glaring at me! I smiled and said hello and asked her if she can point me into the direction of where all the clothes were. She said, "Well you were just in that room so over there." WOAH. Automatically I felt super uncomfortable, so I said thank you and walked into the other room, AGAIN she followed me in there. She didn't say anything but kept staring at me and whispering to other Sales Associates which was I'm sure to keep their eyes on me, but I ignored it and kept looking around. In an attempt to gain her trust, I asked her if there was any lace or embellished dresses around. She again said something that took me aback. "Well, I saw you touching that dress over there, didn't you see that?" I have no idea what my facial expression was but she knew that made me feel really...weird. So this trend of following me into every single room continued until I just couldn't take it anymore, so I left.

It was so strange getting that treatment from someone. I've never experienced such a judgmental and distrustful attitude from someone. I'm not sure if it was my age or race that turned her off of me, but either way it shouldn't matter! That was truly the first time I've experienced "Shopping while black" or whatever. Who knows, maybe my race wasn't the issue. Maybe she was having a rough day and wanted to follow me around? But as a fellow Sales Associate, I know to treat everyone no matter how they are dressed or how they act with respect. Even if I'm having a rough day, it's the adult thing to do to put your feelings aside and do your job. So in closing, this is what I wish I sad to the cranky sales associate who made me feel incredibly uncomfortable: Dior job and stop following me.