My Experience At A Non-Denominational Church

If the music and the sermon didn’t do it for me, the candy sure did.

742
Think Younger

Like most people from South Georgia, I grew up in a Southern Baptist church. I never went to a contemporary service, a Methodist, service, or even a Catholic service. That just wasn’t something that my parents did, so I followed suit. I really don’t know much about other types of denominations, just the usual thing with Baptists, you get dunked instead of sprinkled. And I was okay with this type of service. My church was small so everyone was like family. It was one of those old country back-road types of churches so everyone literally was kin to everyone. Going through high school, I had so many friends that went to these bigger churches that had huge youth programs and I was so jealous because I wanted to be a part of that, but I would never be able to leave my amazing family, so I stayed put. After graduating, I made the decision to move to Augusta for college, and I was finally able to decide myself where I wanted to go to church. With big cities like this one, there are so many different options on where I could begin. One day one of my good friends invited me to go to church with him and I decided I would go to check it out. The name of the church was Stevens Creek Community Church and I was kinda confused because it didn’t say Baptist, or Methodist, or Catholic, or Lutheran, or Episcopalian. I had no idea what type of service I was getting into.

I pull up to this church, and it is absolutely breathtaking. The outside is so beautiful and there is a creek behind the church, which makes the name fit nicely. My friend hadn’t gotten there yet, but I decided to walk up to the door so I could wait inside. As I was walking up to the church, I couldn’t tell you how many people stopped me to tell me their names and that they were glad that I was joining them that night. You can imagine the overwhelming feeling when you go to a new church but when everyone is introducing themselves and making a point to talk to you, there is a calming sense that makes you feel right at home. We made our way to the “sanctuary” but this was more like an auditorium with a stage. There were all sorts of musical instruments on the stage, so I knew that we were about to be hype for Jesus. When the worship leaders came out on stage and started playing, everyone around me was dancing and singing at the top of their lungs. This was like a huge worship party and fun doesn’t even get close to describing it.

They played a couple of fast upbeat songs and them some slow songs that got you all in your feels. Then the pastor comes out on stage. I’m not sure how other churches do it, but my church back home only had 1 pastor. Apparently, this new one has like 10, which is pretty cool. So all of the sermons are basically preached around a series and that always makes going to church that much more interesting. This sermon, in particular, was about “I’m Fine” and I felt like the preacher was talking to me the entire time. He made it so personal and I kept wanting to hear more and more. I was so drawn in by every word he said that he never lost my focus. I don’t know about you guys, but when a pastor makes a sermon interesting, I find it easier and easier to pay attention the whole time. Usually, if you get a boring pastor, you lose focus after ten or so minutes. But not this one. It was funny, sincere, intimate, relatable, and understandable.

After the service was over, we walked out of the “sanctuary” and there were people at the doors holding buckets of candy. Like if the music and the sermon didn’t do it for me, the candy sure did. But as we were leaving, I still felt at home. Even though this was my first time ever at this church, I knew that this was the place that I wanted to be. The best way I can describe this church is, if you cross a motivational speaker with a pastor. And if you aren’t feeling motivated to live for Jesus after leaving that church, you didn’t put your heart in it.