Expectation vs. Reality: Freshman Year Of College

What really goes on Freshman Year of College

808
Abhishreejkumar/Blogspot

With my freshman year of college coming to a close, I thought I would share some of my experiences. We all go to college with these expectations, but there is a reality to it. We all expect college to be this new beginning where we get to experience all of these new things. Of course, that is true, but not the extent that everyone wishes it would be!

1. Getting off campus on the weekends

Expectation: You get off campus on the weekends bright and early to explore the city you are in and get a feel of the local culture.

Reality: You sleep until 1 p.m. and don’t leave your room until 4 p.m. You stay on campus because you have no way of getting off campus. You do not have a car, you do not want to pay the ridiculous taxi fee, and the bus scares you a little bit. Face it. You are a hermit living in your dorm room.

2. New School, New Me

Expectation: We all go to college expecting to be someone new, to start over, make new friends.

Reality: You are the still the same person. Surprise! Three months is not going to change you! Be who you are, embrace it!

3. You and your roommate will be BFF's

Expectation: You and your roommate will be Best Friends For Ever! You will do everything together, and not get into any disagreements. You will be each other Bridesmaids at each other's weddings and live happily ever after.

Reality: You are going to spend so much time at the beginning with your roommate that by the end of the second month, you probably will sick of each other. Some people don’t get along with their roommates, but sometimes they do.

4. You are excited to leave your family.

Expectation: You are finally ready to leave the nest. You get to finally grow up and be your own human being.

Reality: You will miss your parents and siblings very much. You will wish you could go home more often and see them again. You will most likely be crying on the phone to your mom because you miss her homecooked meals. Most importantly you will miss your pets the most!

5. Your dining hall food will be healthy and delicious.

Expectation: The dining hall food will be delicious and healthy. Five-star meals every day! No complaints, living luxury to the full extent.

Reality: You will probably eat burger and fries 95 percent of the time you eat at the dining hall. Your burger will be a hockey puck, and your chicken will still be pink and raw. You will be living off mac and cheese and ramen in your dorm room!

6. Take all 8 a.m. classes, so you can finish the day early.

Expectation: Wake up bright and early with a positive attitude, ready to take on the day. You will complete all your classes around 11 a.m. and then have the rest of the day to relax and do homework. You will be able to take those 8 a.m.'s. Ready to take on a new adventure.

Reality: Boy, are you wrong. You will be running to your 8 a.m., still in your PJs and hair all over the place because you are already 5 minutes late.

7. Study all the time and get good grades.

Expectation: When you aren’t in class and have some free time, you are going to be studying and doing your homework in order to get good grades! You will get that 4.0 for the semester!

Reality:You are running around like a chicken without a head trying to get everything done because you hung out with your friends until 12 a.m.

8. Have all this time to join clubs, hang with friends and keep a hold of life.

Expectation:You will be involved in every single club you can from intramurals to drama club! You will still have time to hang out with friends and do homework because you have all this free time!

Reality: You will join a lot of clubs and spend time with friends, but it will hard to not get stressed over it.

9. Everyone is going to love you.

Expectation: You are in a new environment, and no one knows you! You will make a bunch new friends and not have any enemies.

Reality: Oh, wait! Everyone will love you! Make your college experience the best it can be:)

Just a disclaimer: most of these realities are how my freshmen year went. It does not mean your freshman year was or will be the same. Make it how you want it! Best of luck to those who will be starting college in the fall!