Everything Is All "Right"... Or Maybe It's Left | The Odyssey Online

Everything Is All "Right"... Or Maybe It's Left

Teaching Right and Left Never Smelled So Good

24
Amy Clink

Back when I taught first grade part of our social studies standards said we had to teach our kiddos their left from their right. I could have found some boring worksheets where they have to circle the ball on the right or circle the tree on the left, but as we've already established I'm not a worksheet teacher, and I get bored easily! With that in mind I found something more fun! I saw this idea somewhere, and borrowed it. For a good part of the year I have been putting yummy smelling cotton candy Lip Smackers on the kids right hands. They smell them all the time, and know that the hand they're smelling is their right hand. Simple, easy, and fun (it also makes for a nice reward if needed). Gotta love muscle memory! It also meets some sensory needs that some of my kiddos have.You need the really fat Lip Smackers like these in order to cover the largest area possible.

Once they had a fairly firm grasp on left and right I would let them play Left Center Right LCR ( this link gives details on how to play, but I'll give you the basics). I played this once at a party (adults play this as for money, but we use math counters or candy) and thought it would be a fun way to practice left and right. Everyone sits in a circle, and each kiddo gets three math counters.

Then they roll the dice ...

If you roll a dot you get to keep your counter. If you roll a C you have to put it in the center of the circle, and if you roll an L or R you pass a counter to the person on that side of you.

When you're out of counters you watch until someone has to pass you one, or until there is only one person left with counters. The last person left with counters is the WINNER! The kiddos love this game, and we have a lot of fun with it. It's also a great way to practice sportsmanship and taking turns!

I still do this with my 2nd graders sometimes because honestly they need a refresher, and it's FUN! Have fun learning!