From Hollywood to Harvard: How Jessica Alba's Ethnic Identity Has Influenced Her Path

Jessica Alba's journey from Hollywood actress to successful businesswoman is a testament to her drive and ambition, but her ethnic identity has also played an integral role in shaping her path.

832
Jessica Alba says hello
media.giphy.com

Jessica was born on April 28, 1981 in Pomona, California to parents of mixed heritage: Spanish, Mexican, Indigenous Mexican and Sephardic Jewish descent. Her father's ancestry includes Denmark, Ireland, Scotland, English French German

Jessica Alba is a Hollywood icon best known for her leading roles in blockbusters like Awake and Fantastic Four. As an accomplished actress, Jessica has become a force in the industry by speaking out against stereotyping in Hollywood.

Her Drive

Aside from her acting career, she also started The Honest Company -- which has become immensely successful. This store sells various household goods and has contributed to an increase in her net worth of over $200 million.

She advocates for a nutritious diet and believes in exercising regularly - she even has her own fitness line which is now sold in several stores.

Despite her success, she still feels a strong connection to her Latino roots. But she understands that her daughters Honor (6), and Haven(2) may not always have such easy access to their heritage; which is what fuels her ambition and drive: to give them an accurate representation of what it means to be Latina in America.

Her Ambition

Jessica Alba recently spoke to PopSugar about her struggle to land roles in Hollywood due to her ethnicity. She felt that she wasn't quite "right" for the roles being offered, which left her feeling very uneasy.

But she also wanted to demonstrate that women of color can achieve success in Hollywood - and she did just that.

Jessica Alba is an American actress and model best known for her roles in several films and television shows. Born April 28, 1981 in Pomona, California to Mark David Alba (an ex-US Air Force serviceman of Mexican and Spanish ancestry) and Catherine Louisa Jensen (Danish, Welsh, English, Scottish, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, German, and French descent), Alba has an eclectic background that spans Denmark, Wales English Scottish Scots-Irish/Northern Irish German and French descent).

Alba is both a successful businesswoman and a mother of three. She co-owns Honest Company, an eco-conscious home and beauty brand. Alba has long been an advocate for women's rights and social justice issues, working alongside non-profit organizations to enhance the lives of children and families.

Her Ethnic Identity

Alba, a leader in the social justice movement, has dedicated herself to protecting women and children from harmful chemicals. As spokesperson for the Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families Coalition, Alba has also made multiple trips to Washington D.C. to push for greater government protections.

She has always maintained a deep sense of ethnic pride, which she proudly displays for her family, fans and colleagues alike.

Her father, Mark David Alba, is an ex-US Air Force serviceman of Mexican and Indigenous Mexican ancestry; her mother Catherine Jensen hails from England, Denmark, Wales, German and French descent. When Jessica was an infant they moved to Biloxi, Mississippi then Del Rio, Texas; during this period Jessica developed an obsessive-compulsive disorder which lessened when the family relocated to California where Jessica could pursue her passion of acting full time.

Her Entrepreneurship

Actress Jessica Alba founded The Honest Company, which produces and sells non-toxic cleaning products and baby items. It has now been valued at $1.7 billion.

From its humble beginnings as a side gig, the company now employs over 500 individuals.

In 2008, Jessica Alba became pregnant with her first child and realized the need for safer cleaning products in their household. Together with environmental scientist Christopher Gavigan and serial entrepreneur Brian Lee, Jessica founded The Honest Company with these partners.

Alba, despite her success as an actress and mother, found it challenging to launch her own business. To acquire the expertise she lacked, Alba turned to co-founders for help.

She has learned from her mistakes and believes that failing is essential for success. Additionally, she emphasizes the value of learning from others' mistakes - something renowned self-made entrepreneurs such as Mark Cuban and Microsoft founder Bill Gates often preach about.