Epcot World Showcase: Highlights Of Each Country | The Odyssey Online

Epcot World Showcase: Highlights Of Each Country

For those who love Disney, culture, drinking... or at least two of the three.

1193
EverythingMouse.com

If you love culture, Disney, and drinking – or at least two out of the three – then Epcot’s World Showcase might just be your heaven on earth. It’s definitely mine. It’s got activities for all ages and tons of things to do and look at. Not to mention Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure (formerly Kim Possible), an awesome spy mission for kids, families, and myself – a 21-year-old adult. I could walk through the countries a thousand times and see something new each time. If you visit in the spring you might get to experience the Flower and Garden festival, and during the fall you might happen upon my personal favorite – the Food and Wine Festival. Basically any time you visit is guaranteed to be wonderful.

As a former Disney College Program intern who worked at the neighboring Beach Club Resort, I walked to Epcot before or after work at least three times a week. From May to January, I saw a lot of amazing things at the World Showcase. Here are a few of my favorite highlights.

Mexico

The Aztec Calendar Projection – If you’re a big history nerd like me, you’ll love this and how fascinating it is to watch it light up with color.

Gran Fiesta Tour Starring Los Tres Caballeros – It’s basically a much less creepy and but way more funny version of “It’s a Small World” in Mexico. It also features some beautiful Mexican scenery, including an impressive temple and volcano, and fireworks.

Caballero Donald – Donald is arguably the best fur character you can meet at Disney World. He’s a real character. He’ll take a duck face selfie with you, dance with you and spin you around, make your boyfriend jealous, and let you and your best friend fight over him. His Caballero outfit makes him even feistier.

For 21+ Guests – Wild Passion Fruit frozen margarita at La Cava de Tequila.

Norway

The troll – He’s large, he’s strange, he’s creepy, but were you really in Norway if you didn’t take a picture with him? We no longer have the creepiness Maelstrom, but we’ve still got this guy.

The fortress – The fortress smell great (like wood), and maybe it’s just me because my great grandparents were from Scandinavia, but I love to look at the historical and Frozen displays inside.

For 21+ Guests – Aquavit shots at Kringla Bakeri

China

Mulan – Maybe I’m a little biased because Mulan is my favorite princess, but this girl is great. We talked about our families, our grandmothers, how beautiful China is. She’s a delight.

Performers – Who doesn’t love acrobats? You can see them in China at select hours of the day and they’re always an exciting time.

Merchandise – With any merchandise you buy in China, you have the opportunity to get your name written on it in Chinese characters. Completely complimentary, too. It really adds character.

For 21+ Guests – Tipsy Ducks in Love at the Joy of Tea

The Outpost

Jewelry – The Outpost, while not technically a country, is still pretty cool. There are a few stands with beautiful, recycled, handmade jewelry. Plus, one time I accidentally broke a bracelet and the Cast Member was totally cool about it.

Drums – I wouldn’t stay here long because children play these endlessly, but they have a really cool effect. The first time I heard them I thought an actual song was playing, not just a bunch of random kids beating drums. I was wrong. Let your inner child beat that drum.

For 21+ Guests – Safari Amber at Refreshment Coolpost

Germany

Glass blown ornaments – Around Christmas time you can buy handmade glass blown ornaments and get the gift recipient’s name inscribed by the artist. Again, totally complimentary and, of course, beautiful.

Tiaras – In the shops there’s a large display of the most beautiful (and extremely convincing) fake diamond tiaras, similar to at Arribas Brothers. I think I tried them on for at least 20 minutes, and had a Cast Member take a picture of me in each of them. No shame.

Biergarten – This restaurant is the best: beer, buffet, entertainment, and it’s Oktoberfest all year long! Definitely make a reservation.

For 21+ Guests – Radeberger Pilsner at Sommerfest.

Italy

Via Napoli – As much as I love Pizza Planet, I have to say this is probably the best pizza in Disney World (and the biggest). Plus, you will often hear the beautiful servers singing an Italian rendition of “Happy Birthday.” Pair a slice of pizza the side of your head with a pitcher of their sangria and you’re good to go.

The architecture – Real Italy is known for having some of the most beautiful architecture in the world, and the Italian Pavilion at Epcot does not disappoint. As much as I love the serenity of Japan and the atmosphere of Morocco, I have to say that Italy is the most beautiful place in Epcot. Every restaurant, building, column, and corner of this place is fantastic to look at and explore. Especially the Neptune Fountain. (Great photo op.)

The performers – The Italian Pavilion has a slew of different street performers and flag performers that are all captivating to watch. Have a flight of sparkling wine and watch for awhile!

For 21+ Guests – Sparkling Peach Moscato at Enoteca Castello.

America

Turkey legs – Need I say more? One of my favorite Epcot treats, and definitely a good idea if you’re drinking around the world. There’s honestly not a lot at the American Pavilion, but turkey legs are worth a stop.

The American Adventure – All I can say is: you’re going to feel so patriotic afterwards.

For 21+ Guests – Red stag lemonade at Fife and Drum Tavern

Japan

Mitsukoshi – This is my favorite store in all of Disney World (sorry World of Disney). You will find the most interesting things in every corner of this gigantic Japanese novelty store. There’s something for everyone. Japanese snacks, sodas, socks, TV and movie merchandise, instruments, hair clips, Hello Kitty everything, Pokemon everything, strange little pillow creatures, teapots, purses, and my favorite thing to try on at Mitsukoshi…

Kimonos – There’s a whole room full of beautiful Japanese kimonos and a sales associate who helps you pick one out, try it on, add hair accessories, tell you about the history, etc. (And there’s no pressure to buy! Because they’re definitely not cheap.)

The koi pond – This is one of the most relaxing spots in Epcot. It’s the perfect place to sit, look at the scenery and people, and enjoy the Matsuriza drummers.

For 21+ Guests – Murai Nigori Genshu (Cloudy Sake)

Morocco

Restaurant Marrakesh – This is my second favorite place to eat in all of Disney World (after ‘Ohana and tied with the Hoop-dee-doo Musical Revue). The lamb and couscous is to die for, the music and setting is beautiful, and the belly dancers are extremely entertaining, especially when they dance with the kids.

Tangier Traders – All of the shopping in Morocco has interesting things to look at, but Tangier Traders has the beautiful jewelry and traditional clothing you can almost convince yourself you need. Not to mention Morocco is the best smelling pavilion in Epcot – thank you, incense – and you can buy holders shaped like lamps (just Aladdin’s) in the Moroccan shops!

Henna tattoos – Nothing says “I had a cultured vacation” like a henna tattoo. And it won’t even take up room in your suitcase.

For 21+ Guests – Marrakesh Express at Restaurant Marrakesh.

France

Parfums – Amazing ice cream. The perfect snack for a trip around the world. And a bonus: you can turn it into an adult beverage!

The flowers – No matter the festival, the French Pavilion is always in bloom.

The bridge between France and the UK – This is by far my favorite spot to watch fireworks. Crossing my fingers for the day I see a proposal here. Check it out!

For 21+ Guests – Ice Cream Martini at Parfums

United Kingdom

Rose and Crown Pub – A wonderful place. I always make friends at Rose and Crown. Wonderful atmosphere, it’s cool and indoors, and the people watching here cannot be beat. I mean, it’s a pub in the middle of a Disney park!

Mary Poppins AND Alice – Two of your favorite Brits in one place! By far two of the most charming face characters I’ve met.

The telephone booths – Nothing says jolly old England like a classic red telephone booth. Were you really in the United Kingdom if you didn’t take a picture?

For 21+ Guests – The Welsh Dragon at Rose and Crown

Canada

Le Cellier – Basically anyone will tell you they have the best steaks in Disney World, and they’re not wrong.

The performers – What’s better than a bunch of lumber jacks with instruments making you laugh? Answer: nothing.

The waterfall – That’s right, Canada has a waterfall. Of all the beautiful Epcot scenery, this one probably takes the cake as the most impressive.

For 21+ Guests – Torontopolitan at Le Cellier