7 Empathy Building Books You Need To Read

Open your mind, and a book.

37
Unsplash

Reading is an enriching pastime that can teach powerful lessons to people of all ages. But with so many books to choose from, and more being released every day, where do you begin? Well, here.These seven books, some fiction, some not, are some I have read in the past couple of years that have left lasting impacts on me. Each has the potential to teach you about yourself and build your capacity for empathy. So open your minds, and be ready to open a few books, too.

1. "I Am the Messenger" by Markus Zusak

“Maybe everyone can live beyond what they’re capable of.”

Ed, a cab driver who’s just going through the motions, starts receiving playing cards in the mail. These cards have vague directions designed to help others, directions Ed must follow – or face the consequences.

Why you need to read it: Zusak is an incredible story teller who challenges the reader to think about how they view others, what they value, and what they are willing to do to help someone else.

2. "The Element" by Ken Robinson

“What you do for yourself dies with you when you leave this world; what you do for others lives on forever.”

Your “element” is where you are most vibrant, passionate, and free. But many of us have yet to find ours, be it from lack of opportunity, support or courage. Using examples of those you recognize, such as The Beatles and Meg Ryan, as well as personal anecdotes, Robinson demonstrates how we can each find our own element, and help others find theirs.

Why you need to read it: If you have yet to find where you belong, Robinson provides insights and support to help you explore your options. If you have found your element, you will be challenged to think differently about it, understand yourself more and grow in your passion. Along the way, you’re challenged to make a difference for others, and help them get where they need to be, too.

3. "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini

“It’s wrong what they say about the past, I’ve learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out.”

Amir and Hassan grew up incredibly close, despite Hassan being a servant in Amir’s household in Afghanistan. After running away in the midst of a traumatic moment for Hassan, Amir faces the reality of his past and his wrongs.

Why you need to read it: The content is not easy to read, which is exactly why it’s on this list. Hosseini explores familiar themes of friendship, betrayal and redemption through the relatively unfamiliar lens of Afghan history. By the end, the reader is challenged to think differently about the world they don’t see, as well as their own past.

4. "Quiet" by Susan Cain

“Don’t think of introversion as something that needs to be cured.”

In an extrovert culture, how do we understand and learn from the introverts? Quiet looks at the misconceptions that surround introversion and extroversion through psychological studies, interviews and stories of successful introverts. Cain’s research and examples show the power of introverts, and what we lose when we ignore them.

Why you need to read it: Whether you are an introvert or an extrovert, you will benefit from Cain’s insights. She introduces ideas for approaching office spaces and relationships, collaboration and innovation, leadership and connection, to benefit introverts and extroverts alike. This is not a book for one type of personality; this is a book to challenge us all to change the way we see and understand introverts.

5. "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli

I had never realized how much I needed the attention of others to confirm my own presence.

Stargirl moves to Mica High, but she’s not like everyone else. Not in the slightest. She dresses different, she plays her ukulele, she carries around her pet rat, she’s entirely herself without a care in the world. After a while, she’s embraced. Then she’s not. Leo, who is star-struck by Stargirl, has fallen for her but cannot stand the social isolation that comes with being with her. She is pressured to conform, but will it be enough?

Why you need to read it: While a middle-grade book, Spinelli offers lessons we could all learn in this tale of nonconformity and self-expression. Learn from Stargirl and Leo about the joys, and struggles, of letting go of societal expectations and embracing who you are. You will be challenged by Stargirl to be yourself, and Leo and the students of Mica High to embrace others, rather than push them away, for their differences.

6. "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life (Before 25)" by Dr. Jesse Payne

“By understanding the inner workings of your brain and how they relate to all aspects of your life, you’ll begin to understand why you are the way you are, and why you act the way you act.”

The brain is everything you are, and you have the potential to change it. The brain is not fully developed until the age of 25 and is shaped by the environment and people around you. Payne, in an ever-engaging voice, shows how different parts of the brain impact your behavior and attitudes – and how you can change them to live your best life.

Why you need to read it: You have the potential to change your personal life, as well as your relationships. Throughout the book, there are ways to examine yourself and tips for helping you become your best self, based on your personal needs. Not only will you be able to change yourself, but you will be able to see how to interact with people based on their own psychological needs. By understanding the brain, you’ll hopefully have greater patience for those around you as you see where they may be struggling.

7. "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett

“Write about what disturbs you, particularly if it bothers no one else.”

Skeeter, a white woman, and Aibileen and Minny, two black maids, live in the Mississippi of the 1960s. Both see something wrong with the racial lines they have to abide by, and they decide to do something about it. Putting themselves at risk, they decide to collect stories from other maids and try to get them published.

Why you need to read it: Stockett offers a racial dialogue that shows the importance of taking risks to make social change and standing up for what you believe in. With an open mind, you may be challenged to think about how you view others and what you’re willing to do to change the injustice you see around you by the time you close the book.