Embark On Your Own Career Path, Not Your South Asian Parents' Path | The Odyssey Online

Embark On Your Own Career Path, Not Your South Asian Parents' Path

South Asian parents have a deep-rooted mentality conflicting with their children's dreams and career choices.

450
IIs Holding

Recently, I had a heartfelt conversation with one of my close friends regarding some of the confusion, struggles, and sorrows she faces as an ambitious, South-Asian woman pursuing fashion. Discussing the conflict she faces at home, constantly attempting to overturn the mindset which centers around the common conception ranking certain occupations higher than others, is all too familiar to me. I, myself, feel the utmost appreciation and gratitude for the support of my own parents who have never compelled me into this same predicament. As a South-Asian student and member of both an American society, as well as someone well aware of the stereotypes that are often attached to the parenting styles of South Asians, it is common to be hearing about a student's pressure regarding which subject to study and what career path to embark upon.

Growing up, my parents have always encouraged my siblings and me to strive towards greatness, but more than that, they emphasized personal passions and believe that success lies in a subject that we love rather than one that is assumed to be financially superior. No matter what subject steals our interest and attention, my parents have always driven us to pursue what our hearts and minds prefer. My mom has constantly reminded me not everyone is skilled in the same way, that there is a multitude of career options and everyone is free to strive for whatever they choose.

Unfortunately, not all parents see career and futuristic planning in the same light. Though my parents are hands-down my biggest fans in my pursuit of English and Psychology, I have witnessed, interacted with and straightforwardly heard the conversation that inadvertently insults the credibility and necessity of careers that do not follow the medical or engineering track.

I have seen, specifically within South-Asian households, that there is an overarching expectation for students to pursue careers as doctors or engineers with little to no room for negotiation. There is an overwhelming emphasis by parents to study the sciences and any form of creative expression and/or liberal arts is sidelined because it's considered more as a hobby than a plausible career.

Though my parents have never discouraged me from chasing my dreams, other family members have, without a doubt, viewed my passion for English and Psychology, as wishful thinking and dreams that could never end with legitimate success.

I can see this mentality strongly pervade South-Asian households, it exists among various demographics as a conflict between child and parent. A pressing issue that ultimately hinders the pursuit and attainment of a student’s interests.

As a student that has been asked countless times what type of work could possibly be out there for an English and Psychology major, I can make the safe assumption that a large majority does not believe that there is financial benefit from any occupation outside of the sciences.

Whether it's a passion for fashion, writing, performing arts or any subject that falls short of a doctor or engineer, there seems to be a popular idea that these subjects are not promising and will not lead to a prosperous and successful life.

Though the majority of students know this, as they are the ones falling victim to pressures and demands to pursue the supposedly superior careers, it comes as a foreign concept to many parents, especially those from South-Asian families.

Without a doubt, it is complicated and quite saddening to see students fight day in and day out with their families because their dreams are ultimately breaking those of their parents. But, as frustrating as it may be to cope with, it is important to realize that parents bring forth these pressures and expectations in good faith.

To South-Asian parents, in particular, majoring in subjects that are considerably creative and/or liberal is not only unfamiliar but is viewed as extremely risky. They were raised with not only a different mentality but with a disparate perception of the world. The necessity and overlapping success of studying medicine are fundamental in understanding from where such a narrow mentality stems from. South-Asian mindset, in regards to careers, is one that sees no variability regarding the components needed for success. They see it simply in black and white. Success and money are somehow directly correlated to the pursuit of medicine and engineering, and wavering from this track will not result in triumph.

This mentality is the root cause of the pressure that is thrust upon students, as the parents genuinely believe that studying anything outside of these promising paths will result in future failures.

It is almost impossible to react and respond to this type of a situation calm and collectedly, and I definitely do not encourage people to do so. Nobody should ever have to deny themselves an education in a subject they love, nor should one’s dreams ever be compromised. But I do advise those going through these conflicts, to understand that South Asian parents, or any parents with this mentality, are only trying to ensure maximum happiness and success for their children.

It is natural to feel distraught, discouraged and hopeless when faced with this conflict at home, but one source of comfort is knowing their mentality was ingrained within their parents based on the way in which the world functioned when they were being raised.

It is never acceptable to downplay another individual's dreams, but it is important to understand that mentalities take the time to eradicate. Look at our nation, for example, it took decades and decades to work towards erasing issues such as segregation or child labor. Mentalities are not perpetual but they do require patience and understanding to overcome. Until then, it is crucial to remember that this issue, regarding forced career paths, is most definitely a tribulation. But the end result, the fulfillment of passions and reaching an ultimate goal, will make it all worth it.